Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Massive Hero fold

You should claim that your cat jumped on your keyboard...
Old 11-09-2007, 02:04 PM

I cant see anybody outright bluffing into a 25BB pot into 2 people and thinking it will be profitable in the long run. Both players are almost never folding here...especially not enough to make the bluff +ev.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant see anybody outright bluffing into a 25BB pot into 2 people and thinking it will be profitable in the long run. Both players are almost never folding here...especially not enough to make the bluff +ev.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could be "bluffing" with 2 pair or a set here. You could change the bluff part in your sentence and say "I cannot believe anybody would think [insert retarded play here] would be profitable" about a ton of plays made by bad players at every table I sit at. The thing here is that you have to be insanely sure he has the flush to make this a fold given the odds we're getting on a call. I don't think I've ever been this sure about an opponents play and there's pretty much always more than a 4% chance of someone making a weirdo play. That said I don't think this fold is anywhere near unforgivable. I just think it's close and that I'd call.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:25 PM

Ok I guess I needed clarification of what you meant by bluffing.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:26 PM

Yeah, my bad.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:23 PM

I think its an excellent fold, although probably not one that I'm personally cabable of making in such a big pot. I do believe it is the correct play given how the BB check/called 2 big bets on the turn after that flop action, when is that ever not a flush draw?

I think alot of people are forgetting that we dont close the action here, the button is still to act behind us and after the action he put in on the turn he may well raise.

So for all the people who are saying that this is an easy call, what are you doing if say the button raises then the BB 3bets? are we folding then? Or are we just calling down blindly since we had the nuts on the turn? remember there are no prizes for 2nd place here....
Old 11-10-2007, 09:35 AM

I find it fascinating that a good fold on the river is the issue here when the flop action was retarded.

I find it fascinating that you can make a 1 bb fold and spew twice on the flop

That being said, I would make a call on the river when I know I am beat at these odds so I guess I have to honour your discipline to details.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Knowing who villain is I'd say that calling the river is much more retarded than jamming the flop. Calling the river costs you 1 BB. Jamming the flop prolly only cost you a fraction of a BB.

Altho I hate jamming the flop
Old 11-12-2007, 05:08 AM

All right, I got to this thread late but am going to describe a scenario where BB could have a worse hand and could be leading the river without being a moron:

Let's say he has a set of 3's. He plays fast on the flop because he's probably best. But, with Button and SB both apparently drawing and with CO capping the flop anyway, he decides to check and await developments on the turn when the obvious straight hits. And Button wakes up -- uh oh! -- but BB still has to chase a boat and also he's not really certain he's beat.

The river is no help, but he doesn't feel like paying 4 BBs to showdown versus two straights, so, without really thinking he has any folding equity, he fires a bet into the pot to represent the flush and to try to get a 1 BB showdown.

So there! (And then, of course, there is also the small chance that BB is making a desperation stab because he sees $250 in the pot or is betting out of irritation at having been taking along for the ride on the turn.)

Anyway, some good players have praised this fold, but I couldn't make it.