Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Three Stocks to Speculate with

LVS dropped like a rock due to variance on gaming income in the last quarter as well as increased operating costs in Macau. At below $110 this looks like it has major upside and little more downside. Another way to play this one would be to buy LVSAV (Jan 08 $125 calls) at under $6 per contract.

My next one is GA, gotta love a new IPO, it's trading at $19.28 right now but I think anything at $19 or under has vast upside potential.

Now SWHC, people always need more guns right? They are still growing at close to 30% per annum and this one disappointing earnings report killed the stock. Am unable to find any basic business flaws, if someone else finds any please point them out. I had picked it up at $11 after the immediate drop but with a little patience and a good winter quarter this may get back to the $20 range pretty quickly.

Jimbo
Old 11-02-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Three Stocks to Speculate with

Three stocks with which to speculate.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 PM

Three Stocks to Speculate with, your MAD MONEY! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jimbo
Old 11-02-2007, 02:29 PM

Three stocks in which one may be so inclined to speculate on
Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 PM

ive taken a punt on LVS and SWHC....fingers crossed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 02:44 PM

John,

Hope you got in at a good price on both of these. Just curious if you bought the LVS stock or the options. If you got the options near $6 they are now at a bid/ask of $7.60/$8.00, last trade was at $7.30

Good luck for both of us,

Jimbo

PS: If by some miracle the Jan 08 options reach $10 today I am getting out with a quick 60%+ gain but will hold onto my shares and maybe sell some downside puts.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Three stocks in which one may be so inclined to speculate on

[/ QUOTE ]

wow... lol no
Old 11-02-2007, 03:46 PM

To John Kane in particular but alos to any other interested parties,

I wrote above I would sell downside puts, I meant I would buy them. In particular I would buy downside puts, LVSWB, Nov 110.

Ok, now most people here know I don't like too hold onto my profit for too long. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] In keeping with that philosophy I am selling, well just sold my LVS stock (200 shares) at $116.50 for @$1400 profit today, but am keeping my Jan 08 $125 calls.

Jimbo
Old 11-02-2007, 04:00 PM

tbh i cant really remember how puts and calls work. i studied them in an economics module but unsurprisingly i cant remember. something like you buy puts when you want the price to go down and any difference is your profit, if not you lose the cost of the put, and vice versa for calls.

all i do is just spreadbet/cfd, so for LVS i've got about $70 per $1 swing in the price and for smith and weston i've got $40 per 10cent swing.

i got in at $117.3 for LVS so up about $200 on that and weston at $12.78 so down about $100 on that.

do you think these are good long term holds? i have set stop losses at $105 and $10.70 respectively.

if they drop, obv no worries, i am purely gambling here but i figure your advice to be +ev.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:15 PM

John,

At frst I read your post and said to myself, "WTF?" Man you know we Americans, if not quoted in US dollars I have no clue. lol

I alos am unfamiliar with the method you are using to leverage your investments but it appears to work like option futures with greater leverage.

Anyway I like SWHC to not lose you any money even in the short term and think you may have a lot more gamble than me and make a lot in LVS.

Thanks for the kind words,

Jimbo