Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 12:53 PM

Default How to Handle a Ridiculous UTG Overbet?

This is a general question taken from many similar experiences. I always choose incorrectly.

$10 MTT - blinds 25/50 (early stages)
Hero and Villain are equal in chips (just over the chip average). Villain UTG raises 10X BB (???!!!), several folds, Hero in LP has AK. No solid reads on Villain.

I don't usually try to chase people away with a big pair in EP but others... who knows, you see all kinds of moves in these online MTT's!! Many see this move as a scared bet with hands like 55-JJ, AQ or AK. If I come over the top and push I only really fear AA. Even KK I have a chance and the rest is coin flip or better. I haven't done the Poker Stove for the range but would assume it's near an even money bet (minus the aces). I suppose this is not too dissimilar to a UTG/EP push for 60BB or so. What do you do with AK against a push with pot odds of essentially 1:1?

How do you handle this to maximize returns or minimize losses?

As an aside in the three situations I have seen this (or similar) I have pushed into aces, re-raised hit a K on flop and run into aces and third re-raised and faced an AI on the ragged flop which I folded (probably this time I was facing AQ or suited connectors lol).

Any thoughts.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: How to Handle a Ridiculous UTG Overbet?

I didn't read any of this save for the part where it says "10XBB" and "I have AK." Push.

Barry
Old 07-30-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't read any of this save for the part where it says "10XBB" and "I have AK." Push.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Easiest decision ever. Expect to see Ax and middle pairs more often than JJ - AA.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:31 PM

My favorite is the massive PF overbet followed by the weak probe when the flop whiffs.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:45 PM

I guess it's just a bad streak to run into aces twice (perhaps three times) holding AK when I faced a ridiculous over-bet UTG/EP. I think it's a no-brainer if my M is dropping but it sure hasn't worked out for me in these three situations.

Interestingly I made the FT in the tourney which I called and folded to the AI whereas I obviously cashed $0 on the other two.

Maybe I should raise 10X BB UTG/EP with aces and see if anybody sees me for a donk and calls with AK, AQ, high pairs etc.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite is the massive PF overbet followed by the weak probe when the flop whiffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. And you see this all the time. Blinds 15/30, EP bets 350, two callers, flop, EP bets 30.