Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-30-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: ***Official Ron Paul video thread***

Paul will be the top Republican fundraiser for the quarter, if you don't count any loans Romney gives himself.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:54 PM

Definitely. I think $17 mil at this point is a no-brainer. The other beautiful thing is, as Paul himself has pointed out, it's basically costing NOTHING to raise this money. Majority of it grassroots/internet, and I don't have any doubt he will have more cash on hand than anybody. Except Romney, he will just dip into his personal funds to make his campaign look successful. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2007, 11:19 PM

Yeah the numbers that Ron Paul passed today don't count donations from people named Mitt Romney.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OMFG

SECRET SECRET

I HAS A SECRET

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT IS IT?!?!?! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2007, 11:47 PM

Yeah, let us know. You know Ron believes in transparency [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OMFG

SECRET SECRET

I HAS A SECRET

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get too excited. The last time Boro did this, it was just Ron being on The View which, while good news, didn't merit all the fuss. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OMFG

SECRET SECRET

I HAS A SECRET

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get too excited. The last time Boro did this, it was just Ron being on The View which, while good news, didn't merit all the fuss. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's disappointing. Meet the Press would be nice but yea it doesn't merit quite so much fuss.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:31 AM

The Ron Paul Blimp is now taking donations. There is a website for this and the name of it should be pretty obvious. How awesome would that be? A Ron Paul Blimp paid for by individual supporters.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what the historical trends are for 4th quarter fundraising compared to 2nd and 3rd quarters. Do campaigns generally raise more or less?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was tried googling for this info a few minutes ago. I spent a few minutes at the fec page but the quarterly filings from the 2004 primaries appeared to be like 3000 pages.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took longer than a few minutes, but there was some 2000 and 2004 data (and a bit of 1996 data) on http://www.cfinst.org/president

From that, it looks to me that in the 2004 Democratic race, and in the 2000 Republican race, the 4th quarter (actually it's a 4 month period ending in Jan) has higher fundraising than the 3rd quarter. Also, from the data on this website, I was able to confirm the trend of fewer high dollar ($1000+) doners as the campaign progresses. I think that is the part of the lower dollars per quarter over time meme that the MSM picks up on because they are in more contact with people who personally raise huge sums from a small number of people. What they don't consider (because they are journalists, not mathematicians or accountants) is that the small dollar donors increase over time because of the increased exposure to candidates (thanks to the early big time donors). This is all an expected dynamic. Just don't expect MSM reporters to think that clearly. For example, one of the other MSM memes was that there was money sitting on the sideline in the Republican race, and that this money would therefore be waiting for Thompson's arrival. I could see nothing in the data about big donors (or all total donors) that supports this theory.

All that being said, I would have liked to seen more data from 1996 and earlier elections. If someone else would look that up, I'd be greatful. Some caveats to this campaign finance research:

Try to exclude donor money not useable for the primary (though I think this is a 2008 issue only)

Make sure to exclude major transfers from past campaigns (this should only affect the first quarter of a candidate's candidacy and is usually identifiable by looking at "individual donors" vs. total donations.

Lookout for candidates loaning themselves money. The CFI website shows this when they have a column about individual donors vs. total donations. You can see this clearly looking at Romney's data (or Forbes in 2000).

When a candidate is an incumbent (or quasi-incumbent like Gore), the data for them or their competitors if they have one are not likely to be applicable to a wide open contest like you have in both parties this year (or in 2004 with the Democrats or in 2000 with the Republicans).
Old 12-01-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ron Paul just passed the 3rd quarter fundraising numbers of every republican candidate only 2/3 of the way into the quarter.

[/ QUOTE ]

heres a link, i iz so happyyyy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]