Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-09-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical Management Decision re: non-tipping patron of restaur

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jaydub,

I really don't see why I needed to be insulted. I prefaced by saying that I never worked in a restaurant, so anything that I wrote was a layman's view of the whole thing.

Why is 5 hours ridiculous? Too long or too short?

Do servers not make $15/hour? If they don't make at least that much, why not find a better job?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you do.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

I was establishing the 5 hours and having only one table as a worst case scenario. I was asking you if there are customers that stay over 5 hours. I just don't see how anyone tipping 15% can be seen as a cheapskate. They are by no means being a big spender, but cheap? I guess in a perfect world all customers would live their lives to accommodate servers. They would order expensive things, eat as quickly as possible and tip 40%.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, wtf do you loathe about the autograt? It's usually 17 or 18%, so it can't be that it's more than you want to leave, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with the price, it has to do with the fact that tipping is supposed to be about quality of service, not an automatic fee. If someone gives bad service, they get no tip. If someone gives exceptional service, they get an exceptional tip. With the autograt, your server has no real motivation to do their best to please you. The "forced" tipping system is dumb enough as it is, and removing the only positive aspect to it makes it even dumber.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:43 AM

Question for the servers:

Do you guys hate sharing tips? I know I would hate to bust my hump and have a lazy [censored] get a cut of my hard earned dough.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Golden Rhino: While $75 may seem like a lot on the surface, imagine if the same table of 6 people with a $500 tab who took all night was replaced by table of 4 people with a $300 tab that turns 3 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can appreciate that as a waiter, a hight turnover table is ideal, but my point is that $75 is not too bad, especially if it can be considered a bad night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you do for a living, but say you take home $1000 a week, would a week where you brought home $375 be considered a bad week?

The point I'm trying to make is that some people make their living this way, it's not just a bunch of college kids trying to earn extra dough. It irritates me when people act like tipping is some scam they are forced to contribute to.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you guys hate sharing tips? I know I would hate to bust my hump and have a lazy [censored] get a cut of my hard earned dough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that damned lazy busboy who scrambled to refill the water and clear the plates. Parasites I tell you.

Seriously do you huff paint?

J
Old 11-09-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

15 minutes of work for a 5 hour table? Really, you're going with that ratio? You think perhaps there might be some stuff going on behind the scenes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it's not that low - but let's take a middle of the road restaurant, around $20/head. Party of 6. Let's go long and say the party is there for 2 hours.

With drinks, the bill might come out to $200 or so. At 15%, that's a $30 tip, still averaging $15/hr (and that's assuming the waiter is actually working that full 2 hours and has no other tables.)

It was never uncommon for some of my friends at nicer restaurants to come home with $150 - $200 in their pockets working a 6-7 hour shift.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now we're being rational and logical with reasonable numbers. Much better.

Others with industry experience (I have zero) can elaborate on the amounts (which vary) but I do know that the tip is shared among several people so the $15/hr in our discussion is not going to be achieved.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

if they are sharing 33% of the tips, then that table is $10/hr

is that the only table they have for that timeframe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not and if we continue down this logical path I'm certain we discover that being a halfway decent waiter at a upper middle to high end place is a job that can actually be a middle class career.

We back down the drink assumptions, tweak the number of tables, [censored] around with timing cause it isn't 9-5 of course but with my zero experience I suspect we find that 40-70k is our range of salaries for this career. Using the rule of 2000 this means $20-35/hr which seems about right.

Note I live in a city and have not dined at an Applebees / Outback / Red Lobster / etc in many years so experiences may vary.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true I need to start tipping less. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that damned lazy busboy who scrambled to refill the water and clear the plates. Parasites I tell you.

Seriously do you huff paint?

J

[/ QUOTE ]

He was talking about sharing tips with other waiters, jackass.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Golden Rhino: While $75 may seem like a lot on the surface, imagine if the same table of 6 people with a $500 tab who took all night was replaced by table of 4 people with a $300 tab that turns 3 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can appreciate that as a waiter, a hight turnover table is ideal, but my point is that $75 is not too bad, especially if it can be considered a bad night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you do for a living, but say you take home $1000 a week, would a week where you brought home $375 be considered a bad week?

The point I'm trying to make is that some people make their living this way, it's not just a bunch of college kids trying to earn extra dough. It irritates me when people act like tipping is some scam they are forced to contribute to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the utmost respect for people who do this for a living. I have worked in every industry except the restaurant industry because of the amount of [censored], and the paycheque variance those poor bastards have to put up with.

Having said that though, being a waiter is like working on commission. You have your good weeks and your bad weeks.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

wait so a table of 6 takes 3times as long to serve as a table of 4?

it seems like you are exaggurating

[/ QUOTE ]

If they sit there all night they do. As a rule of thumb, the more people in a party, the longer they will stay.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try playing poker for a living and taking home -$1k in a week. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]