Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 08-10-2007, 11:13 AM

Default 99, one opponent, overcards, I think I know where I am.

Right, this is a 4/180. Villain has been tight preflop, and thats all i know, its still quite early. Im pretty sure his range is really very easy to assign here.

I dont want to be results oriented so Im asking for a street by street review of how I played this, as I was very happy with how it panned out. Im really focusing lately on my reading skills and planning my bets/actions better. I realised a few months ago that although my bets were accomplishing goals, and they were usually correct, I wasnt really sure WHY i was making the plays I was. Anyway this was the kind of hand I couldnt play a while ago, and I suppose Id just like some positive reinforcement.

This was such a "feel" hand that Ill talk you through my feelings, and if at anytime you think Ive made an error let me know. Im not just going to post it and say what do you think, as with this hand it just wouldnt acheive anything.

So I have him on exactly AK/AQ/AJs or a low/mid pair. He'd repop with an overpair to my hand Im sure, and hed fold any raggy aces. He might have flat called AJo.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG (t2080)
Hero (t3105)
MP1 (t1135)
MP2 (t1225)
MP3 (t1535)
CO (t2135)
Button (t1855)
SB (t1690)
BB (t6015)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls t125, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Ive been pretty active as this table is just so weak. Preflop raises and c/bets seem a very profitable pastime, and Im getting action on my bigger hands too, as they kind of know im ducking and diving. This has been my standard raise preflop, all straight forward so far.

Flop: (t350) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, SB calls t200.

I really like that flop, I mean id rather the jack wasnt there obv, but most of the time this villain doesnt have it, and Im starting to think about how to get the most money from him if he has the hands i put him on. ive c/bet most flops ive played, so when I bet and he flat calls, I know Im ahead. Hes straightforward enough to c/raise if he had the jack.

Turn: (t750) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t600</font>, Hero calls t300.

mmm, interesting, but I kinda expected it. I think he thought Id whiffed, and he wanted to make a stand. By this time Im trusting my reads, he either has an underpair or AK/AQ. Comments on this street are what im after really, i wont go into my thought process/bet size too much before feedback.

River: (t1950) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t740 (All-In)</font>,

Nice card. Theres the shove i expected. I did think a while, just to make sure i hadnt missed anything.

Hero calls t740.

Final Pot: t3430

So, dont check the results before you comment, how do you think this was? Given my reads could i play this better or was it (as I thought after) well played? Thanks in advance guys

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Ah Qc (high card, ace).
Hero has 9s 9h (one pair, nines).
Outcome: Hero wins t3430. </font>
Old 08-10-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: 99, one opponent, overcards, I think I know where I am.

nh... blah... once you call the 300 on the turn, can't imagine folding to anything on the river. I would of just re-shoved the turn, with your read.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nh... blah... once you call the 300 on the turn, can't imagine folding to anything on the river. I would of just re-shoved the turn, with your read.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but then he folds the reshove, an i like those extra 750 ships.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:23 AM

I think your preflop range is too tight. ATs, KQ, KJs and perhaps even QJs strike me as definite possibilities for a tight player to call with here.

If you think you are ahead, shove the turn - it saves you from having to make a hard decision on the river if a club, 9, Q, K, A comes and he shoves into you.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But he is drawing to 10 outs for free, and 1/4 times you lose 2,000 chips. And you probably hate losing all those chips. PLus he may feel pot commited, and he also may c/f the river. So there really is no guarantee you get the remainder if you flat call turn.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:24 AM

if you put him on a steal then you definitely have to flat call the turn and wait for him to shove it all in on the river.

I agree on most of your reasoning here, however the minreraise would have thrown me off since I would have expected a bluff to push right away.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's already put over half his stack into this pot. On the turn, he either has it or has decided you don't. Either way, he's calling the shove.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Location: I can\'t walk through the park cause it\'s crazy after dark...

I don't like your betsizing..I think it leads to complications postflop. In a 4/180 I would raise 200 pre and bet closer to pot on the flop...
As played I like the turn flat call as a shove over the top would obv fold out any hands you are beating..and obv you have to call river with all the missed draws out there...
Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but then he folds the reshove

[/ QUOTE ]
He actually never folds 2 overs+gutshot to a reshove for 700 more after CR-ing to 600.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:59 AM

I think it's more a case of he played the hand really terribly than you played the hand well.

Pf is fine, flop bet is too small, I'd bet closer to t300, and as played shove the turn if you think you are ahead, but usually I'd just check the turn, unless I knew he was a huge station / always chases draws. And how are you so sure he never has Tcc, JT or random Jx's or the turn....