Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 08-06-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: 180 man sngs on stars.....

TAG to start the first couple of levels, TAG if you are short in mid levels (there will ALWAYS be someone to give you action on your monsters if you wait for them; overplay these if you are short). Loosen up somewhat with the big stack, although this depends majorly on the chip distribution and looseness of players at your table.

At the late stages you need to play according to your stack. With a shorty, be crazily patient; it is hugely frustrating when you get raped by the blinds on a loose table without making any moves and then getting busted on your AQ or whatever, but trust me you need to have buddha-like patience in this position. Push wherever you see an opening however.

With big stack play the opposite. If you are comfortable playing LAG, here's the spot for it. Cold-call raises that are not pushes and play some flops, particularly from players with medium to small stacks whom you have good reads on; open raise (or even limp) wherever possible in MP to LP. The point is that you can afford to have fun with your image here, and scare the [censored] out of people by varying your plays. Don't get crazy, and run away wherever someone shows strength, but basically you want to be much looser here, particularly with shorties at the table who are obviously afraid of busting before the bubble. Be super-conscious of your image. Having a big stack at this stage is really fun poker :P
Old 08-06-2007, 10:53 AM

typically nailed it...like most MTTs I think stack awareness (both your own and your and others) is the most important thing...Also the hard part is waiting while others get to snag chips and get action...I've limped into the money many times and won as chips swings and moves are most important late...ral poker is played at the final two table...

Most important thing I am learning is that you need to be willing to play in a lot beacuse NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU play the unwashed masses will still catch you with junk...

Practice with 9/ 18 person SNGs so you are comfortable so that you can make the most of it when you do get deep....Most times I get to FTs and the others have no clue and I can run over them with my experience...
Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of the 180 players there are at least 165 BAD players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 AM

The field in these things is tougher than in the larger MTTs on Stars. The regulars/fish ratio is fairly poor so there isn't as much dead money available.

I only add the 180s now when I can't fill up with other tournaments.