Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 02:53 AM

Default NOOB PLAYING THE 530 SUNDAY TOURNEY, WHAT IT DO??

I've been in <50 tournaments lifetime. Seems I cannot sell my ticket. I'm gonna have to play!!!!

How do you play tournaments??

I own at cash game by the way, whats the difference? I wanna be prepared that entry is like 1 buyin and a half at my regular game.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: NOOB PLAYING THE 530 SUNDAY TOURNEY, WHAT IT DO??

The main difference is that if you get a big stack, don't play big pots with other big stacks; instead, steal blinds from tight players and play pots with smaller stacks. In the early levels its similar to plaing a cash game, but as the blinds go up and the antes kick in, most pots will be won preflop, and much fewer hands will go to the river without an all-in. The main thing is survival. Once you get a big stack you don't want to risk it when you have most players covered.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The main difference is that if you get a big stack, don't play big pots with other big stacks; instead, steal blinds from tight players and play pots with smaller stacks. In the early levels its similar to plaing a cash game, but as the blinds go up and the antes kick in, most pots will be won preflop, and much fewer hands will go to the river without an all-in. The main thing is survival. Once you get a big stack you don't want to risk it when you have most players covered.

[/ QUOTE ]thanks, good advice, never really thought about it but that makes sense.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The main thing is NOT survival.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-15-2007, 09:52 AM

Play to win not survive scared $ never wins
Old 07-15-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The main thing is NOT survival.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 AM

What about playing KQ in utg+2 or QJ in MP?? In a cashgame I'm always raising those hands unless there's a maniac behind me. Raise it? Fold it? Does the stacks matter? Also, do you guys steal a lot or not very much?? Is this player dependent? Like to me it seems that everytime its folded to you on the button or co you should steal but whatever, is this correct?

I do you know if you should not steal a guy? I'm guessing if he's good or a calling station.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:07 AM

Sell your seat.. nothing personal, I'm sure you'll do great in the beginning as a cash gamer, but endgame skills are what matters most and will be most foreign to you. It will be very difficult to get prepared for what will ensue if you make it far enough to matter. $T and $W sell quickly here, why not post it?

If you decide to play, learn your zones, resteals and squeeze plays etc. watch some late tourney play noticing how large a part fold equity plays in endgame strategy, most hands are decided pf.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about playing KQ in utg+2 or QJ in MP?? In a cashgame I'm always raising those hands unless there's a maniac behind me. Raise it? Fold it? Does the stacks matter? Also, do you guys steal a lot or not very much?? Is this player dependent? Like to me it seems that everytime its folded to you on the button or co you should steal but whatever, is this correct?

I do you know if you should not steal a guy? I'm guessing if he's good or a calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]

Early on when the blinds are small, KQ and QJ are garbage hands. As blinds get bigger, their value increases.

As a tournament noob, I would recommend playing very tight. As the blinds start to get uncomfortable, wait for 2 decent cards and shove. Rinse/repeat until you feel more confident that you get the gist of tournament play. If you play tight/shove, you'll fall somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as participants.

As far as stealing, don't bother early. The stacks are too deep against the blinds and everyone and their brother is giving/getting implied odds. Raise with good hands, fold the trash. Later, you'll open up your steal range quite a lot because you're in a battle against the ever increasing blinds. But, pay attention to stack sizes in the blinds. Shorties have to raise their calling range a great deal out of desperation (and are often pot committed with any 2 cards.) Tighten your steal range against them as a result.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sell your seat.. nothing personal, I'm sure you'll do great in the beginning as a cash gamer, but endgame skills are what matters most and will be most foreign to you. It will be very difficult to get prepared for what will ensue if you make it far enough to matter. $T and $W sell quickly here, why not post it?

If you decide to play, learn your zones, resteals and squeeze plays etc. watch some late tourney play noticing how large a part fold equity plays in endgame strategy, most hands are decided pf.

[/ QUOTE ]I would rater sell it but it seems that it is not exchangable. IT's a ticket that I bought with my fpps.

My other point is, when do you start pushing preflop instead of opening normally? I usually open to 2,5x blind in tournaments. I usually shove when I have less than 10x blind in my stack. And lets say I have 54o in the button and 10 big blind. I'm pretty sure the blinds calling range are pretty tight, like AJ KQ 66+. Should I open to 2,5x or push??