Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Default NL2: Hit the straight on the river, but do you call the push?

Limited history on villain, but he looks relatively unremarkable. 30/0/2 ish, applies pressure (but not too much) when he senses weakness. I had been playing very aggressively and had won four out of the previous ten hands without going to showdown.

The flop call was obviously loose and possibly flat out stupid; I was completely on a bluff and wanted to float him because it felt like he was starting to play back at me. Of course, I picked up the OESD on the turn; do you call the turn bet even though it's not giving you quite enough expressed odds? My call was based on the implied odds from the straight, but obviously with a limited HH, I can't say for SURE that he'll bet hard on the river if I hit. If you call the turn, what do you do on the river with his push? The flush looks like a real possibility, but so does top pair...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($1.83)
BB ($2.99)
UTG ($1.52)
MP ($1.79)
CO ($3.27)
Hero ($1.92)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.08</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.19) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.1</font>, Hero calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.39) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.2</font>, Hero calls $0.20.

River: ($0.79) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.14 (All-In)</font>, Hero poops his pants
Old 11-27-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: NL2: Hit the straight on the river, but do you call the push?

I don't like the pf raise as your hand sucks and you have no fe at NL2. Dunno for the call on the flop. I don't thinnk you have much FE vs a donk on the turn so calling is goog. And I would def call river as he could have so much more than a flush. I think he prob has a Q that turn two pair or something.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop call was obviously loose and possibly flat out stupid; I was completely on a bluff and wanted to float him because it felt like he was starting to play back at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. You want to float people who are capable of folding, not someone who wants to play back at you. In any case, you shouldn't be floating anyone (or bluffing at all for that matter) at NL2.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM

The guy wasn't incapable of folding. If anything, there are more weak-tights at NL2 than you realize. You've got a lot of wannabe Gus Hansens that will bet with nothing and call you to the river for a gallant all in bet, sure, but there are a lot of guys that will see someone dominating a table and try to donk into them and push them off a hand on the flop, then fold to any sort of pressure on the turn. My initial read was that he was relatively weak-tight and was pressure aversive; the idea was that I would call his fairly weak donkbet and see what he did on the turn. If he checked, I'd throw in about a half pot bet (which was, at the time, taking down a lot of pots) and be done with the hand if he bet either the turn or the river. With that in mind, I picked up the OESD on the turn and that changed my plans considerably.

My question was, mostly, how you deal with the flush card falling on the river. I picked up the card I wanted, but the wrong suit; does his line look like he's got the flush? Do you think the pot is offering enough to take the risk of him having hit his draw?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:49 PM

You are not allowed to call this turn and fold this river. If villain really is just playing back at you he could be doing this with TT hoping for a fold or 55 hoping for a call. The diamonds are a possibility, as is JT, but so are myriad other hands that you blow away. Of course, if you're WRONG about him playing back at you then you should have folded the flop. So, given that you decided to go for it and you hit your miracle card on the river you've GOT to pay it off if villain actually hit HIS miracle card, too.

Sucks, huh?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:54 PM

It does, and I'm probably defending my play a little too much. I'm aware the flop call was poor, but there was a (convoluted, narcissistic, moronic) reason behind it. At the end of the day, I put myself in a terrible position by making that call.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:56 PM

By the way, I (results in white) <font color="white"> called, and he flipped over AQ non diamonds, nh ship it STOP MAKING STUPID F'N FLOP CALLS </font>