Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 11-21-2007, 02:09 AM

Default (39) AK too strong for a S&G?

Villain here is actually pretty decent. Not great, but good numbers...
It's his pair range I'm hoping he folds on the flop, but I hate folding out AQ/AJ

Poker Stars, $36 + $3 NL Hold'em Tournament, 75/150 Blinds, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BTN: 2,585
SB: 1,360
Hero (BB): 1,430
UTG: 2,160
CO: 1,465

Pre-Flop: (225) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
<font color="red">UTG raises to 450</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls 300

Flop: (975) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 980 and is All-In</font>,
Old 11-21-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: (39) AK too strong for a S&G?

[ QUOTE ]

It's his pair range I'm hoping he folds on the flop, but I hate folding out AQ/AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you shouldn't stop-n-go with AK, get it in preflop or not.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:12 AM

i dont get why this is ever not a shove pf. AQ/AJ dont even fold all the time pf.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:24 AM

With a lil over 9 BB u gotta shove here.. aq or aj is not folding after commiting 25% of there stack and getting 2-1 pot odds
Old 11-21-2007, 04:46 AM

Yes too strong. Just shove preflop.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 AM

i'm pushing preflop as well. he is not folding many pairs on the flop when he is ahead (i.e. no ace or king on board).
Old 11-21-2007, 11:31 AM

Ok, he's not folding PF to my shove. He will fold a certain percentage of hands post flop. My stack is going in regardless, so what's the difference?

I'm only worried about folding AQ/AJ, but will be glad when he folds 22-99(TT to the right flop). So is the value I'm missing by not shoving preflop that much greater?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, he's not folding PF to my shove. He will fold a certain percentage of hands post flop. My stack is going in regardless, so what's the difference?

I'm only worried about folding AQ/AJ, but will be glad when he folds 22-99(TT to the right flop). So is the value I'm missing by not shoving preflop that much greater?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that the flop could easily miss him, and then you're letting him get away cheap. Why not get it all in pf when you are a solid favorite rather than on the flop when a push will either get him to fold mostly weaker hands or call with hands that usually beat you?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that the flop could easily miss him, and then you're letting him get away cheap. Why not get it all in pf when you are a solid favorite rather than on the flop when a push will either get him to fold mostly weaker hands or call with hands that usually beat you?

[/ QUOTE ]

A made hand doesn't need to "miss" the flop. He'll fold alot of the hands that beat me on the flop, but not pre-flop.

Look, I get the shove pre-flop part. I'm looking to see if there's a way to quantify how much value I'm losing by getting it in on the flop instead of pre-flop. So far, I'm only losing value to AQ/AJ folding, but gaining when they fold the pairs.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A made hand doesn't need to "miss" the flop. He'll fold alot of the hands that beat me on the flop, but not pre-flop.

Look, I get the shove pre-flop part. I'm looking to see if there's a way to quantify how much value I'm losing by getting it in on the flop instead of pre-flop. So far, I'm only losing value to AQ/AJ folding, but gaining when they fold the pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

how good is villian? if he not a winning regular i think you have a bit of FE preflop. this makes we want to push preflop.