Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 05:39 PM

Default My overpair gets capped on the flop

This is my first orbit, no reads.

Hero has J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG +2 limps. MP1 limps, CO limps(everyone else folds), Hero RAISES, all three call.

FLOP 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero BETS, UTG+2 RAISES, 2 folds, Hero 3-BETS, UTG+2 CAPS, Hero calls.

TURN A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero ???
Old 06-21-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: My overpair gets capped on the flop

The ace sucks, but I call down from here. Villain may be out of line with a draw or Tx, plus you outs against T8 or something. I'm definitely not donking the turn though (I'd check/raise if I thought I was good, which I'm not as sure of anymore).
Old 06-21-2007, 07:07 PM

I'd probably call down for information, or hope for Tx or counterfeit 2pair by the river.

A on the turn doesn't seem to change anything, really, unless you suspect KK/QQ and you want to bluff him off, but I doubt that will work if he doesn't put in more bets preflop with that kind of hand.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:47 PM

just call down..
i treat that A like a blank
Old 06-22-2007, 12:10 AM

Agreed. Given Villain's preflop play, that Ace didn't help him unless he has specifically AT.

However, he's told you that your overpair is no good, and I'd be inclined to believe him. You're getting, what, 5-1 on a calldown? Take it. Raise if you river the J.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:32 AM

This is how the hand finished. I opted for a call down, until a terrible river card came down.

Hero has J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG +2 limps. MP1 limps, CO limps(everyone else folds), Hero RAISES, all three call.

FLOP 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, UTG+2 RAISES, Hero calls.

River T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, UTG+2 RAISES, Hero folds.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my first orbit, no reads.

Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]
Edit:I assumed that you were on the Button.
I'm going to grunch here.
Preflop the pot is 9.5 SB.
They all checked to you, which may be indicative of not having a lot of strength, or a monster.

Flop play was good at removing the two limpers, but you may have trouble protecting the hand against draws that may be correct to call you down. However, by now you should be putting UTG+2 on a range. What could he limp and call a raise(and not re-raise) and then cap the flop with? 33, A8s??, j|q|k|a/10, j/9s, and maybe 7/9s or 10/8s are all possibilities. Depending on how many players are at the table, I don't see UTG+2 limping 88 or TT, maybe 88 but not TT. Betting on the flop is capped so I'd be inclined to think that he hit the 10, some sort of straight draw, maybe a flopped set of 3s...I'd be leaning towards him over-playing top pair though. Pot is now 17.5 SB. or 8.75BB

He checks to you on the turn? That's weird isn't it? He calls your LP raise p/f, caps the flop, then checks the A on the turn. My range for him would still be something like an OESD, top pair+j-a kicker, possibly two pair or a flopped set of 3s, maybe even pocket 9s(but he limped p/f).

I'd lead out on the turn, and call if you get raised. If he has j/9 or q/j he'd be correct in calling down with an OESD(4:1, 3:1 respectively), borderline with 7/9 (~8.5:1). If he calls on the turn, my range for him shrinks to top pair with a broadway kicker, or an OESD. If he raises, the pot will contain ~12BB. I'd call. You may be way ahead/way behind. If the river bricks and he checks again, I'd probably lead out again putting him on the 10 with broadway kicker, or check behind for fear of being check-raised again. He could have overplayed top pair or straight draw, hit two pair or flopped a set.
Again, you have played less than one orbit so without having any reads, I'd say that your milage may vary.

Just offering my opinion/thoughts on the hand. They may be flawed but I'm sure other 2p2ers will be quick to point them out.

Edit:what position where you in? Button/SB/BB?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit:what position where you in? Button/SB/BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I am BB.