Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Future of the MMB forum discussion

Merging seems to be a drastic course of action that doesn't necessarily add value to the contributors of this forum. Personally I see myself taking an interest in at most 30% of the threads in here but less than 5% of the threads in Finance. Due to the higher volume in Finance forum there'll be even more of a chance to miss out on discussions that would pique my curiosity.

[ QUOTE ]
I want to see the direction of this forum shift to more interesting and valuable topics. This is the primary reason I wanted to moderate the forum. I'm interested, both personally and professionally, in the topics at hand but I don't think they're getting the sort of discussion they ought to.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the way I'd like to see discussion steered towards as well. Harnessing strengths and experiences from a diverse group of posters that are willing to contribute and learn from each other. Covering all avenues of entrepreneurship and management.

With respect to the linking rule, the hand converter analogy is very apt. We're seeing a lot of guys posting their blogs and with very little thought or effort put into asking questions to help them improve their sites and it makes it seem just like a cheap way to get some backlinks. Most of us should be able to write well enough to describe specific problems and issues pertaining to online endeavors without resorting to posting links. There are a number of guys here that are willing to answer questions on information/db design, content management systems, ecommerce packages, internet marketing, etc. through the threads or in private messages.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not allowing posts or discussion on topics that members are actively requesting is probably the best way to kill a forum fast.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is possibly the best statement I have read throughout all of the recent discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]
1) Changing is not necessarily equal to killing from the site's point of view
2) As I've pointed out, this forum has never had much traffic so I'm not really convinced there's much out there to kill

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. This forum was pretty poppin for a while.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:37 PM

Maybe the time to raise a ruckus about Sniper being demoded was when it actualy happened. I did this and no one had anything to say. I got myself in a lot of hot water and almost got banned for life. The change has been made so now we have to deal with it.

I am happy to see Evan getting involved I think this will be benifitial to the forum.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:43 PM

Hi Ron
Old 03-23-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Ron

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea Ron why do you post under 2 names lol.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 PM

FWIW I think Evan is the only one making any sense as far as I read into this thread.

I for one was stoked when I first saw the MMB board show up in the list.

I have been extremly disappointed with its direction - turning into 90% adsense/"internet marketing" and a variety of other schemes that have very low ceilings of profitability.

I've also been disappointed by how fast people on this board fall for the exact tactics they are trying to learn. Some posters here have just had a field day getting a lot of others to do anything they want. At times its so absurd I have to assume that they are multiple accounts of the same user.

I do hope that this board sticks around, but for the amount of intelligence hanging around the majority of 2+2 I expect better.

These are obviously generalizations. Some of the threads/posters here have had very genuine, valuable advice. Mr. Now's original thread sticks out in my head but there have been many others.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:50 AM

SUCCESS!!

Evan and I have talked with Mat about this subject and he has agreed to let us allow/disallow personal links in this forum at our discretion. So what this means, things can basically go back to normal, although we are still going to error on the cautious side when allowing/disallowing links. So if something seems even borderline spam, it will be deleted. Posts that show effort to discuss things about their site along with a link are greatly less likely to get deleted than posts that are basically here's my site look at me.

So thanks to everyone for all the feedback, you will find that we will always try to make happen what the posters want, but sometimes, like in this case, it may take some time to work out, because we also are always going to work within the existing rules of these forums unless we are given permission to deviate from them.

So moving forward, we would both still like to hear any other suggestions for any improvements/changes/ideas you have for this forum. These can be addressed either in this thread or by pm to myself or evan. If you still think we suck as mods, please address those concerns in ATF or by PM to us, and not in this thread going forward.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 02:30 PM

It is the last post in this thread that is causing problems, so I'm hoping by posting a post after it it will fix it.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:32 PM

SUCCESS!!

Evan and I have talked with Mat about this subject and he has agreed to let us allow/disallow personal links in this forum at our discretion. So what this means, things can basically go back to normal, although we are still going to error on the cautious side when allowing/disallowing links. So if something seems even borderline spam, it will be deleted. Posts that show effort to discuss things about their site along with a link are greatly less likely to get deleted than posts that are basically here's my site look at me.

So thanks to everyone for all the feedback, you will find that we will always try to make happen what the posters want, but sometimes, like in this case, it may take some time to work out, because we also are always going to work within the existing rules of these forums unless we are given permission to deviate from them.

So moving forward, we would both still like to hear any other suggestions for any improvements/changes/ideas you have for this forum. These can be addressed either in this thread or by pm to myself or evan. If you still think we suck as mods, please address those concerns in ATF or by PM to us, and not in this thread going forward.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 04:12 PM

Thank you Jesus!!! Yea it really isn't that hard to see who is posting for help and who is spamming. For an example of spam see any of my posts [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]