Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 11-27-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: brag: car finally arrived

[ QUOTE ]
btw, LOL @ a 60k car holding back jfish's retirement a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily more than a year unless he is retiring on a mid-six figure real dollar distribution.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are a nit. you are dumb. you do not enjoy life. you are miserable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, no, no, no.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:19 PM

fwiw I have a SEP and a fairly expensive car. It is possible to do both you know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

jfish,

Nice.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:19 PM

Ok, enough bashing me. Send me a PM or start a new thead for it. This is jfish brag thread, not metetron hate thread. We have one of those already in every thread I post in k thx.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pete,

Compounded interest is fun. Saving $35k on the purchase here would easily top $100k real by the time jfish is much older.

I am also a really big nit when it comes to spending money on certain things. Unfortunately, most poker players aren't a big enough of one. Makes me tend to come down harder on guys who used to be like I was with no idea wtf a SEP is or how screwed they are going to be later in life. Jfish is probably fine as he makes a decent clip, hence the reason I didn't come down on him and only started expanding more on my thoughts when provoked.

person who thinks I'm jealous,

I used to be like this... hardly something I like to brag about. Not that it is entirely relevant, but I'm fairly sure I make almost the same or more than jfish so it's not his poker success that I'd be jealous of.

jfish,

congrats on the purchase you seem to be enjoying. Personally not for me until I'm older, but to each their own. I'm sure you are savings plenty for the future and it was more the people who I'm sure aren't that my comments were directed at.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should also be noted that people who will sustain a certain income level will be able to retire in a reasonable time frame despite this kind of purchase. If you make 700k over your poker career and drop 63k on a car that is one thing, but if someone is going to average 150-250k a year or more, this really isn't a big deal unless you want to retire at 40. (Which i really don't think would be fun btw, people always need something to do before they go out of their minds)

Anyway you also make some good points, but I would ask why you don't just make a post like this last one instead of having your first post be "beat." SEP's are awesome, i agree with that part [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2007, 08:24 PM

i mean, it just comes down to whether you want to "wait til you are older" to enjoy things in life.

personally, id rather take that car now than have 150k more when im 50. by then, 150k isnt going to be that much to me.

I just cant see myself ever saying at age 50 "damn, i wish i hadnt bought that beautiful amazing car and had so much damned fun it in when i was 22" . im all for invested and putting away money, but im trying to enjoy my life all along the way, not be super tight with money so i can enjoy it when im older.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Compounded interest is fun. Saving $35k on the purchase here would easily top $100k real by the time jfish is much older.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand compound interest.

i also understand that when jfish has $5 million in his retirement account, he's not going to wish he hadn't bought that BMW so he could have $100k more.

metetron, if you keep winning like you have been, you're one day going to realize that you could be enjoying life a little bit once in a while, rather than making sure you're going to leave at least $10 million to your kids.

your advice is great for the typical american who makes $80k and buys [censored] like this, but it desn't apply to jfish.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:26 PM

ggbman,

Because if I just made a post like that to start with I wouldn't have everyone hating me. You don't see the genius of my plan, which is unfortunate.

And true, it won't make a big difference long-term really unless you want to retire by 40, which coincidentally happens to be the oldest I'd like to be when I quit working. There are plenty of constructive, fun things that one can do without having to worry about getting paid well for it.

Yes, maxing out $45,000 tax-free each year is an incredible opportunity that poker players have.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw I have a SEP and a fairly expensive car. It is possible to do both you know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

jfish,

Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Retard alert. What is a "SEP"?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just cant see myself ever saying at age 50 "damn, i wish i hadnt bought that beautiful amazing car and had so much damned fun it in when i was 22" . im all for invested and putting away money, but im trying to enjoy my life all along the way, not be super tight with money so i can enjoy it when im older.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Wish I made this point in a different thread because jfish is a bad example for trying to do it.