Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: AQ in Re-raised pot

Like I said reads will help with this. And I'd prob call turn and fold to a large river bet. If he's aggro and likes to pounce on weakness I'll call the large river bet.

The point is that when the action involves you checking the flop and calling on later streets you're more apt to get money in ahead, as opposed to when you bet the flop and only get played back at /called by better hands. See what I mean?

Betting the flop makes the hand easier to play sure, but it's definitely not the most +EV, I think this is fairly obvios to be honest and I'm not trying to be a douche. I believe without a better read checking the flop here should be standard with a lot of your range.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, would've you like him to be betting QJs on the turn? Why not give him the chance to bluff. Basically no hands you beat are going to be in this hand to call your flop bet. You're either way ahead of way behind. So check the flop and get more value from 99-KK, or let him bluff whatever trash you have. Betting just gets played back at by better hands and lets worse hands off the hook.

Also reads help :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Good reasoning. However, what do we do if we ck behind flop, call ~pot bet from him on turn, and then he shoves river? Fold I guess, but its hard to tell w/ no info on villain on whats prolly a pretty read dependent spot.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:02 PM

I think if you're calling the flop it should be because you plan on playing for stacks imo.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:05 PM

i think where shpanko is going is that paired board flops are very easy to C/R in his spot. By checking you do not give him pot control because you have position. It simply keeps the pot smaller. I check behind 35% with AQ here depending on villian.

It underreps your hand and he is firing any turn more than likely and you must reason on how much to raise. This gives you pot control back and he cant call unless he really is holding an 8.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Um, would've you like him to be betting QJs on the turn? Why not give him the chance to bluff. Basically no hands you beat are going to be in this hand to call your flop bet. You're either way ahead of way behind. So check the flop and get more value from 99-KK, or let him bluff whatever trash you have. Betting just gets played back at by better hands and lets worse hands off the hook.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good reasoning. However, what do we do if we ck behind flop, call ~pot bet from him on turn, and then he shoves river? Fold I guess, but its hard to tell w/ no info on villain on whats prolly a pretty read dependent spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he bets turn and you call and he shoves river then yeah it's still gonna be a tough spot, but you'll get more money in ahead this way. And I'd prob fold without a read bceause most villains don't have it in them to fire huge bluffs in a RR'ed A high pot. He might bet the turn but I doubt he's bluffing/betting a worse hand for value on two streets.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:07 PM

i agree shpanko, but why wouldn't you raise a lead on the turn?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he bets turn and you call and he shoves river then yeah it's still gonna be a tough spot, but you'll get more money in ahead this way. And I'd prob fold without a read bceause most villains don't have it in them to fire huge bluffs in a RR'ed A high pot. He might bet the turn but I doubt he's bluffing/betting a worse hand for value on two streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really villain dependent, which is why reads are so important here. This hand could go either way depending on how aggressive villain has been etc
Old 11-16-2007, 06:08 PM

why would we raise a lead on the turn?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why would we raise a lead on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if we think villain's calling range is > than his river bluffing range which is impossible to know without history, so raising the turn vs an unknown kinda sucks here.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:11 PM

i think it gives us the most information about his hand...c/r on flop he could have anything...but for him to 3 bet the turn he has to have an 8, nothing else IMO