Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 10:44 PM

Default cheating myself out of a huge pot

played a home game tonite, not huge stakes but decent for me. 1/2 blinds and 100 - 300 buyin. bought in for 200 initially and took a tough river beat after being up about 75 that put me at 164 going into the hand.

VERY NEXT HAND, i pick up pocket 10's and pop it to 7 preflop, then flop a set on an A 10 5 rainbow board. sweet!

i'm in the cutoff and villain is on the button. small blind had called and leads out for 15. i smooth call to make a big bet on the turn. button raises to 30 and small blind calls. i push for my remaining 127, and the button calls it, small blind folds.

button flipped over A5 offsuit for two pair. sweet! two outs! turn is a brick, river is a five! unfortunately, i didn't realize at the time my hand was good, and got all kinds of bummed as the $365 pot shipped his way... somehow EVERY SINGLE PERSON at the table (including myself... wow...) missed that tens full of fives beats fives full of aces...

great night.... great night...
Old 11-15-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: cheating myself out of a huge pot

wait. Did you not protest this or did they just send it his way even though you were protesting it.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait. Did you not protest this or did they just send it his way even though you were protesting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't realize until he was on his way home.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:06 PM

You didn't at least turn your hand over to show how much of a "bad beat" you took?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:12 PM

His hand was turned over after the betting on the flop. No one at the table realized he had the best hand though. It's all in the OP...
Old 11-15-2007, 11:18 PM

I can definitely see how this would happen. Someone would see the 5 and go "OHH!!" and somehow everyone would assume OP lost. Tough break [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 11:32 PM

can i get in on this game? if your friend is any decent, he'll at the very least give you half of whatever the total pot ended up being. he should give you the entire pot. you guys should also play with those laminated plastic cards that rank the hands from top to bottom on the table [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 01:44 AM

exactly why in a big pot, you make the dealer slow down when people are all in, and outload say what outs the behind guy has, then the you say "he's drawing dead to an ace or 5" and someone hopefully will go "actually the 5 doesn't help"
Old 11-17-2007, 02:10 AM

Wow that sucks man, same thing happened to me with a friend, but we were just playing for pizza so no big loss I suppose.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:58 AM

People used to cheer when they hit their 'underfull' out cards in our game. Then we started just silently staring at them until they realized their own mistake.. sometimes for several minutes at a time. No one cheers when they're still losing anymore.