Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Playing in reraised pots

I suck at playing in reraised pots, and since moving up to NL100 I've noticed people are reraising more than AA or KK preflop. With the pot so large, it is usually all in on the flop or turn depending on raises, and I am often lost on whether I should commit or not. Generic hand examples:
Loose villain opens to 4bb in the c/o, I repop to 14bb out of the sb with 99. Flop comes out:
2h8hJd
If I lead out for a psb and he pushes, he could be doing it with a draw, or he could easily have a J, and I have no idea. If I 1/2 pot, he could see it as weakness and raise with most anything, same for check/calling. Or:

Villain raises to 4bb utg, I make it 12bb on the button with AA, 1 caller. Flop comes out
5h6d7d
He checks. Do I bet? Do I call a raise? What if I have something like 99 or TT?

Obviously, it is easier against straightforward opponents and harder vs tricky ones, but it is hard to know what an opponent does in a reraised pot, since you see them less often, so I have to make a decision for my whole stack with less information. Any tips or tricks would be helpful, or if there is a post on 2+2 that is useful (I checked the SSNL sticky and didn't see anything) please link it.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Playing in reraised pots

First of all, I'm not sure I'd be repopping with 99 out of the SB for that exact reason. You're OOP and you don't want to build a big pot right now.

Second, with AA KK and usually QQ JJ in a reraised pot, if it's an over pair, I'm willing to get all in.

Last, and this sure doesn't happen very often, but somehow if I'm in a RR pot with something like 98s and I pick up a decent or better draw (FD, pair + FD, OESD, FD + gutshot, etc.), I'm shoving or CRAI on the flop.

This is, of course, player dependent.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:32 PM

One thing u wanna realize when re-popping pf is y ur doing it, dont do it just cause u wanna "defend" ur blinds, do it because BTN or CO is opening a lot, folding to 3bets or c-bets or seems very spewy and therefore playing big pots with him can be advantageous. Hands like 99 r very tough to play oop in r/r pots without a good idea of ur villain's tendencies, the flop will almost always have 1 overcard and its gonna be tough to proceed if ur c-bet is called and u dont improve on turn. Hands like a4s r the same, they may fold out some better aces that BTN or CO is opening with but hell still have some strong aces in his range and therefore pretty much every flop is tricky to play with a4s oop unless u hit big or have a very good idea of how villain plays. The main thing IMO is not to 3bet for the sake of 3betting, 3bet enough so that ur range isnt predictable and that u can get some action from dominated hands but dont just defend ur blinds or raise CO from BTN with any pretty hand. As for playing back at light 3bettors i'd recommend calling much more liberally in position (910s, j10s, ajs, aq+, kq, 88+ etc.) ur calling range can become wider as ur knowledge of the player increases, when u call with hands like 65s its too often ur gonna flop a marginal piece and not know where ur at without concrete reads on villain's 3bet pot tendencies. Also realize that if villain is 3betting and auto c-betting than it is very profitable to take flops in position against him and just raise his c-bets with a very big part of ur range depending on the board. 4bet bluffing is also useful if u dont go overboard with it.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM

there's no history, no HUD data and no reads, you have a tight image, you have not 3bet yet

what range do you put villain on when he calls your 3bet if
a. villain is UTG you are OTB
b. villain is UTG you are in the BB
c. villain is OTB you are in the BB

what hands do you call a 3bet if you are villain?

I generally put an unknown villain on JJ+, AK and those are the hands I'd call a pf 3bet with. Is it too tight? How should I vary with regards to position?