Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-14-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Cashing in a re-buy without re-buying?

I don't think it's -EV to do what you are proposing, but I think it would be more +EV to just play $3 freezeouts or 4/180's (or even $5 SNG's) instead of going to a gunfight without a full supply of bullets.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
going to a gunfight without a full supply of bullets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once played in a $35.00 rebuy live tournament with the intention of playing with only $35.00.* I was lucky enough to place in the money; but after reading this thread, I'll never do it again. As SellingTheDrama said, I'm better off playing SNGs or cash games.

* I ended up rebuying once, and adding on; but that was after I was already in the money. Or else I was just confident that I would be in the money.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I once played in a $35.00 rebuy live tournament with the intention of playing with only $35.00.* I was lucky enough to place in the money; but after reading this thread, I'll never do it again. As SellingTheDrama said, I'm better off playing SNGs or cash games.

* I ended up rebuying once, and adding on; but that was after I was already in the money. Or else I was just confident that I would be in the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

It must be the latter because there is no way that you could be in the money during the rebuy period. Also the add-on was probably a waste if you were already confident youd be in the money.

The extra 6 or 7 M that you add-on is going to wind up being 1-2 M or less once youre past the money bubble and that is rarely going to make a difference. You're probably doubling up or going bust at some point and those chips just wont matter.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 PM

It is a viable strategy to buy in once, and quit when you bust out. It might not be as profitable as buying in as often as you can, but you aren't at a disadvantage unless the chips in rebuys and add-ons are cheaper. Because of the terrible play, you will have an easier time getting your money in with the best of it during the rebuy period than you will in most normal tournaments. If you get dealt QQ+, just push, and there is a good chance you will get called, possibly in more than one place. There is a much greater chance that someone will stack off lightly, either with a draw, or putting you on a draw.

Many players tilt when they see a large disparity in chips. They think a short stack can't harm them, or that it is hopeless to play against people with large stacks. Both of these are wrong, and you can outplay people by not tilting in these situations.

Buying in once, in a $3 rebuy, might be worth $6, for a profit of $3, and a 100% ROI. (I'll ignore the fee.) Buying in and then immediately rebuying, and then topping off your stack might be worth $15, for a profit of $6, and a 67% ROI. The extra $6 you spend only gives you an extra profit of $3. That's a good deal if your bankroll is large enough, but if you don't have a large bankroll, you may reasonably prefer the former.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 PM

if you don't rebuy-- make sure you at least add-on at break. Typically you get more chips for the same $ dollar amount at the break, so take that chance to getbuild your stack! Even if you have a big stack, you should always add-on.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 PM

There is one site that I play on where the freerolls are exclusively rebuys and add-ons. And you can rebuy as many times as you wish before the break as long as you are below 1,500 in chips, one add-on during the break for an additonal 2,000 in chips, and then it becomes a freezeout.

As we start with 1,000 in chips, my strategy is to do an immediate rebuy. This gives me more chips to play with in an effort to take more of another person's chips. I would rather have the extra chips and not need to use them than have the chance to use them and not have them.

And I always do the add-on.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It must be the latter because there is no way that you could be in the money during the rebuy period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, now I know. I'm a cash game player. I've never played a SNG, but I'll do that soon. I'm studying Collin Moshman's book now.

[ QUOTE ]
Also the add-on was probably a waste if you were already confident youd be in the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it might make a difference what place I got. After the tournament, however, it seemed to me that I'd have ended with the same place whether I'd purchased the add-on or not. In the future, I'll add on, though – based on comments in this thread.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this hard to do? I was thinking of playing the $3 re-buy 25K guarantee a few times, but my strategy is not to re-buy, as i only have a small BR.
All i have to do is get in the top 500ish then i will get like $21. It sounds like a good deal to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Methinks you shouldn't be playing poker or doing any other form of gambling for money, given that $9 is a serious bankroll hit and $21 "sounds like a good deal"
Old 11-15-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Methinks you shouldn't be playing poker or doing any other form of gambling for money, given that $9 is a serious bankroll hit and $21 "sounds like a good deal"

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you realize that this is the beginners forum? It is perfectly reasonable to start playing for pennies (e.g., playing NL $2, or $0.02-$0.04 limit). Should microstakes players all quit until they are willing to play for stakes you deem meaningful?

A lot of players decide to work up from a $50 deposit. Along the way, it is normal at some point to have the bankroll to play tournaments for $3, but not tournaments with a buy-in of $10. Don't play for higher stakes just because someone else turns his nose up at what you can afford.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you realize that this is the beginners forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I hit my head and thought I was replying in the High Stakes forum.

[ QUOTE ]
It is perfectly reasonable to start playing for pennies (e.g., playing NL $2, or $0.02-$0.04 limit). Should microstakes players all quit until they are willing to play for stakes you deem meaningful?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, don't assume you know what I was talking about. Where did I ever say that playing micro limits was not "meaningful" ?

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of players decide to work up from a $50 deposit. Along the way, it is normal at some point to have the bankroll to play tournaments for $3, but not tournaments with a buy-in of $10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you telling me that a $50 bankroll allows players to play $3 tourneys? Much less, $3 rebuy tourneys where he can't afford to rebuy a few times?

Maybe I misinterpreted the OP's trepidation, but he sounds severely under-bankrolled and/or should not be playing at the level that he's talking about, given his cost concerns.