Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 07-26-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Folding AKo Preflop

Playing 8 handed (about 35 players left) in a live tournament full of bad players. Blinds 200-400, average player has about t5500.

I have a very tight image, t8000, and in EP get dealt
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I raise to 1200

CO goes all in for 2100
BB goes all in and has me covered.

I go into the tank and decide that the CO likely has A-rag and the BB has a high PP and I muck the hand.

Would anyone else muck this hand and was it a bad move or just marginal?

Results in white:
<font color="white">My read was close I was against A7s and TT, Tens hold and would have held against me. </font>
Old 07-26-2007, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Folding AKo Preflop

Against 2 players you're most likely flipping at best. I don't think folding is that bad. Someone with more tourney experience could answer better.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:16 AM

AK is a great hand because it has a lot of fold equity. you can reraise and get people off middle pairs and such preflop, knowing that if they do make a gutsy call you're rarely in bad shape. Thats why sometimes i like to limp with them in early position and try to reraise people off their hand without committing a huge amount of chips myself.

Not quite sure how to calculate the odds myself since there will be a side pot between you and the BB. I think you are getting the right price or close to it even though one of your aces is gone. It's basically even money and you've already committed 1200.

If you think the players are bad and you have a tight image then you can definitely exploit that and not have to gamble here in a coinflip.

I don't think either decision is wrong.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 AM

With BB's going all-in after your raise and CO's all-in, I can easily fold this hand. Why have a coin flip now, especially when you think one of your outs is taken? Not worth my tourney life.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 AM

With a raise and a re-raise after your original bet... easy fold. It's not worth it to risk everything for a coin flip. Good lay down.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:55 PM

I disagree, call here. CO's range is huge. Button is isolating with a lot of hands, prob 99+ AK/AQ. There is t5400 in the pot and it cost t6800 to call. And you have AK. You play to win the game. Call.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:02 PM

I think it may have been a bad play because I'm leaving myself with an M around 10, only had to call 6800 into a 1150 pot, I felt it was nearly a flip, and since the average player's M is below 10 it would turn into a pushfest very quickly as the blinds increase.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:17 PM

I would definitely also consider whether our re-raising friend is doing so BECAUSE you have such a tight image - he might be trying to make you do exactly what you did - Lay down a hand that could draw against him (not saying that this means you should call but I’d definitely include this in your hand reading process).
Old 07-26-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it may have been a bad play because I'm leaving myself with an M around 10, only had to call 6800 into a 1150 pot, I felt it was nearly a flip, and since the average player's M is below 10 it would turn into a pushfest very quickly as the blinds increase.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In this situation how long was it before the blinds were to increase? You said you are in EP which means you have a big blind soon and with the fold you only have 6800 (17 big blinds at 200/400 is still more then enough to maneuver with).
Old 07-26-2007, 01:27 PM

The blinds were moving to 400-800 then 500-1000 at 20 minute levles, so they are going up very quickly. I should have mentioned that in the OP.