Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Folding mid/bottom set on the flop

Since tons of PLO players at the mid stakes (1/2 PLO ++) will pot AAxx on any flop, how do you know when to fold a set when someone shoots a pot sized bet your way?

Let's say you have 8857 double suited and decide to call $12 preflop in your standard 6-max PLO200 game. The flop comes out 28Q rainbow and UTG LAGtard fires a pot sized bet of $48. What are going to do?

I know this question seems weird, but there's been so many situations in PLO where I've lost all of my money on bottom/mid set on the flop. Are you supposed to go broke in most of these situations because online games are so LAGish?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Folding mid/bottom set on the flop

just play more aggressively before you flop mid set, so when you do, your opponents will be willing to call you with a wider range than just qqxx.

I don't think I ever fold 888 in that situation btw. Exactly how nitty do you play?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:10 AM

one way to fix that problem is to fold those garbage low-pair hands preflop. nevertheless, in the situation you described above, i would probably never fold unless it was against a very passive nit.

also, sometimes i like to just call with mid set on a drawy board and then bet out / raise on a safe turn card.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 AM

i think it's interesting that people talk about folding these pairs preflop.... i'm not on my desktop right now and i have no particular need to back myself up, but pairs down to 44 are winners for me in position, and 88 is a significant winner even UTG and UTG1. Yes you will have some tricky decisions and you'll get set over setted, but the times you get it in against two pair and a gutshot make up for that in a big way.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:21 AM

That isn't a very good example of a situation to fold middle/bottom set on the flop. I would raise that in most situations that it is checked to me and get the money in.

The times when I fold bottom set or middle set is usually when I am raised/3-bet by a real nit and it is also highly dependent on the board texture.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:08 AM

Ok maybe my example was bad.

I'm definitely not a nit and 99.9% of the time would re-pot in the situation I described.

I'm just having trouble folding sets where apparently I should fold [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] .
Old 07-12-2007, 03:00 AM

Yesterday i blew off about 3 stacks losing set over set on the flop.

What do you do in the same situation, but you are the one that pots the flop and get repotted? easy muck?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:34 AM

It takes a huge amount of information for me to fold middle set; player history, previous action in the hand, etc. I can only think of a couple players that I would ever 'routinely' fold middle set against and that's because they play so weak tight they often only win like 10-15bb's off me when they have me oversetted.

Bottom set is a different story since it can so often be a huge dog in a multiway pot even when you have the 'best' hand on the flop.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 AM

Against an unknown I rarely fold mid set.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:07 PM

if the board was J T 2 and you lead out with TTxx and get repotted by an unknown who hasnt done anything unusual whats your line??