Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: How much money will i have after 3 years?

[ QUOTE ]
Its irrelevant. You'll be one of the richest people on earth within two years. Once you can prove those returns you'll have billions of dollars of capital to work with, get to keep 30% of the profits for yourself and have a team of Harvard MBA's to do your accounting for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no. As others have mentioned, 50% is not all that unusual.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:06 AM

I'm gonna go with:

PV= 8,000
N=36
I=3.437
PMT=500
CPT>FV
Old 10-15-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna go with:

PV= 8,000
N=36
I=3.437
PMT=500
CPT>FV

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, makes sense.

payment should be at the end of period though since otherwise you get it on $8500 for the first month.

using this gives you $61554.42
my method gave $61054.42

the difference here is that the FV calc gives an extra $500 payment at the end of the series.

good to know i was right and am not crazy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Barron
Old 10-15-2007, 11:31 AM

You are EXPECTING a 50% a year for three years.....geeez gimme a break

Without EXTREME risk to your 8K + the $500 per month addtional monies,as Blueman implied,your ROR is near 100%

Unless you are doing something ILLEGAL...thats abit of an overly optimistic return to expect
Old 10-15-2007, 11:34 AM

guys, OP asked a simple question:

starting w/ 8k, putting in 500 each month at an annual rate of return of 50%, how much money will he have in 36m onths?

thats all he asked [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Barron
Old 10-15-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guys, OP asked a simple question:

starting w/ 8k, putting in 500 each month at an annual rate of return of 50%, how much money will he have in 36m onths?

thats all he asked [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I thought that was funny too, I just figured this was some kind of school problem or something lol, don't get so serious about it.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its irrelevant. You'll be one of the richest people on earth within two years. Once you can prove those returns you'll have billions of dollars of capital to work with, get to keep 30% of the profits for yourself and have a team of Harvard MBA's to do your accounting for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

it would be irrelevant if i was a hedge fund manager working with 30 billion dollars, but im not.

50% return per year working with only 8-25k is not hard at all, especially if you play options.

the more money you have, the harder it is to make those big returns.

if a hedge fund manager had only 25k to work with, you're damn right he'd be up 200%+ by end of the year. THe more money someone has, the harder it is to find buyers who want to purchase so many shares. Hence, they need to diversify as much as possible, which in effect, lowers there return rate because its so much safer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, you can't perform (or even google) one of the most basic finance calculations but 50% is in the bag. Post trades and results please.

I'd notify moderators but ahnuld can't be bothered to check that account or update his profile so what's the point.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, there's some discrepency in the answers. I too got 69,750, but after thinking about it for a while, I wanted to double check or see if there were other ways of answering the question. I have to read over some of the replies again to check the work, but 69,750 could very well be wrong.

As for 50% returns per year, I can't believe you people think it is that hard. Look for emerging markets (BRIC-Brazil, Russia, India, CHINA), use technical analysis, do some research, learn options, insider buying... the works.

Perfect example:

2 Weeks ago I was looking at high growth spec stocks and came across Fuel Tech (FTEK). On Sept. 27, the CEO increased his holdings by 20%, as well as 3 other directors purchased shares all within two weeks of each other. It was about 45% off its 52 week high and T/A showed it was oversold and due for a sharp rebound. Furthermore, it just recieved an upgrade from a firm and recently received orders worth over 5 million from CHINA. There was no doubt that this thing was going up. It should hit 40 six-eight months from now, especially since I believe China will want more fuel cell technology with the olympics coming right around the corner.

And there are a ton of stocks just like this...

DISCLOSURE: I own shares of FTEK.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:48 PM

Simplify the problem with the Ruleof72.

Take 72 and divide by your return.

Take 72 and divide by 50% return.

Your money doubles in roughly: 1.44 years

Therefore your 8K is roughly 16 in about 15 months.

Do the same with your 500 deposits.

No one gets 50% consistently without huge volatility.

As a general rule, expect drawdowns equal to your return.

For example for a 35% return expect a 35% drawdown at some point during the 12-month measuring period.

If your return consistently and significantly beats your largest equity drawdown during the measuring period, you are very good.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:16 PM

its definitely easier to make big returns (percentage-wise) with less money. Starting with 80k im up 22% in 5 months. I am absolutely murdering the market, mainly by playing these very small stocks that seem to have wild predictable price fluctuations for no good reason. But that will not work if i had 10mm to work with instead, I'd have to go after the bigger stocks that are harder to make money off of.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:42 PM

61,554. wtf guys, this is like intro to finance. Im locking this thread because of our policy to not get homework spam. If you want to talk about realistic returns when taking into account size, feel free to start a new thread.
Closed Thread