Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Multi-table or move-up?

I’ve been running pretty good at 50NL and greater on Bodog (>10BB/100 over my last 15k hands), but am limited in my number of hours that I can play per month. Since Bodog limits you to 3 tables, I’ve had a very small number of hands in any given month, I usually get in around 4 to 5k hands per month. I’ve also recently had a good run w/ a $10 “please come back” gift that AP gave me a while back and have turned that $10 into $110. Most recently, I’ve been playing 1 table of AP at either 25 or 50NL (depending on what’s available) while 3 tabling Bodog 100NL. My Bodog roll has grown to the point that I plan on taking a shot at 200NL soon, pending that no major downswings happen. I don’t practice BR management on AP yet as the money on that site is nearly inconsequential to my total BR. I try to play 25NL on AP as much as possible but sometimes there isn’t a 25NL game.

Here are my questions:

What do you guys think would be better for me in the long run?
And which would be more profitable?

1. Moving up as my primary objective and slowly adding tables
2. Learning to MT as my primary objective and moving up once I’ve gotten the mechanics of MTing down?

Which would be more profitable?

Ex. 1 Focusing on Bodog and quickly moving up to 200NL and keeping one table of AP going at either 25 or 50NL? I would add one table at a time from AP as that roll grows. This would allow me to keep my high win rate up and would slowly let me grow my # of tables/ hands.

Ex. 2 Dropping down to 3 tables of $25NL on Bodog and playing 3 tables of AP at 10NL for a total of 6 tables in order to learn to MT better. I would be moving back up and slowly adding more tables once I’m comfortable w/ this many tables and as my AP roll grows.
What would be my best table layout here, since AP and Bodog tables don’t interact well together when they’re overlaid on each other? I’m thinking 2 columns of 3.

Of course, a mix of these two could always happen, but what do you guys think about it?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Multi-table or move-up?

ill give u the same advice i gave my friend a few months ago...move a lot of ur bodog money to either PS or FTP.

i wud suggest a FTP acct with RB. i think gettin on one of the reputable sites, and learning to really multitable and play against "better" people, will do more for you in terms of growing as a player. (im not sayying that u shud jump into the hardest games...but playin on Bodog is like playing live, and thats like closing ur eyes and just throwing money).

I really suggest learning how to multitable at 50FR. thats where i learned to put in the bulk of my multitabling (went from 4tables to 16tables in a couple months). multitabling is only good if ur fundementally sound however, as playin more tables when u have leaks, will only make u drain faster (which is kind of the opposite reaon of why we want to multitable).

so i would suggest keeping $800 on bodoggy for when the games look good. move $1000+ over to FTP (only with a RB acct. if u cant get RB there, go to PS where rake is less harsh) and learn to multitable at 50. start with 6 tables, and add a table each week so long as u feel comfortable with it.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 PM

I'm struggling with the same question as OP. How do you know when you're "fundamentally sound"? I've got over 20k hands at 100NL with a respectable profit, but I expect I've got a number of leaks that I haven't identified. I keep wanting to multi-table to make the most of my playing time, but I'm concerned that I'm all I'm doing is "draining faster" as you put it.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 PM

FTP with rake is great. PM me if you need a hand getting started.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ill give u the same advice i gave my friend a few months ago...move a lot of ur bodog money to either PS or FTP.

i wud suggest a FTP acct with RB. i think gettin on one of the reputable sites, and learning to really multitable and play against "better" people, will do more for you in terms of growing as a player. (im not sayying that u shud jump into the hardest games...but playin on Bodog is like playing live, and thats like closing ur eyes and just throwing money).

I really suggest learning how to multitable at 50FR. thats where i learned to put in the bulk of my multitabling (went from 4tables to 16tables in a couple months). multitabling is only good if ur fundementally sound however, as playin more tables when u have leaks, will only make u drain faster (which is kind of the opposite reaon of why we want to multitable).

so i would suggest keeping $800 on bodoggy for when the games look good. move $1000+ over to FTP (only with a RB acct. if u cant get RB there, go to PS where rake is less harsh) and learn to multitable at 50. start with 6 tables, and add a table each week so long as u feel comfortable with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

SS, I play on Bodog because of the reasons that you listed that I should be moving. See Here

Playing weaker players is key to having a higher win rate. I think that I am very fundamentally sound, and I play in softer games by default due to the site that I play on. Multitabling will ultimately include adding sites to my current Bodog regiment. Remember that this game is about having an edge and exploiting it.

So, with that knowledge, what's the best way for me to maximize my profits while maintaining edge?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:05 PM

People still play on Absolute Poker?

I was playing solely bodog for some time and agree with a lot of the advice already given. I think you would be best off moving some money to either PS or FTP and learning to multitable. You could probably start off at 6 if youve had no problems with four. Anyway, good luck.

EDIT: Never stop playing Bodog, its just too good. Keep three of your tables at the Dog and play with the fish.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was playing solely bodog for some time and agree with a lot of the advice already given. I think you would be best off moving some money to either PS or FTP and learning to multitable. You could probably start off at 6 if youve had no problems with four. Anyway, good luck.

EDIT: Never stop playing Bodog, its just too good. Keep three of your tables at the Dog and play with the fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy Bday, Pterodactyl!

I've already got an acct at FTP (w/o rakeback) and PS doesn't offer a deposit bonus. Would PS be better?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> AP gave me monies to come back! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-05-2007, 03:26 PM

Somewhat related to OP post, but i would like to hear input an what sites you guys play at and why? If there is a thread about this, please point me to it. If not, i might start one.

I recently did both. First i added tables, then i moved up in stakes.

My adding tables was mainly due to the fact that the client upped its maximum number of tables and that i was able to 2 screen with my laptop and a second montior. Adjusting to the extra tables took almost no time.

Moving up in stakes was more of a challenge. I became complacent and didn't push myself to move up. I took a few shots and once i got through the short term variance, i saw that the games played almost similar to my current stakes. Once i got adjusted to the extra money in play, it was easy to move up.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:11 PM

If I were you I would wait and see how much you are going to bring in at 200NL and if its worth MTabling on more difficult sites for a few extra thousand hands a month.