Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Re: HUSNG Assertion: You should never limp.

[ QUOTE ]
Limping is fine against frequent callers (say they call three out of four of your standard raises) and they give you a little headache postflop. if they play 'fit or fold' after your preflop raises, pumping it say MOST of the time should be okay. W regard to Phenom, I've played him a few times, and in my opinion his biggest weakness is exactly raising too often preflop, because he's much less aggressive postflop and thus fairly 'floatable'. I think he gives up most of the time after his c-bet is called, which should lead to LESS raising preflop instead of nearly every hand. I'm definitely in the limping camp. Goldmund

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on, good post.

OT:

good to see you GM, what have you been doing?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:06 AM

I don't know about HOldem HU but i play PLO8 hu and limp a ton.

I've been playing better now limping with every hand unless it's top notch. This is mostly because everyone i play raises preflop too much. (if i'm playing a weak moron ill raise more)

when you are limping 95% of the time and nobody has a clue as to what you have, they tend to overplay their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th lows and weak highs.

I also like to limp b/c it keeps the pot low and i feel like i can outplay most of these idiots after the flop and the small pots help keep the luck factor down.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:10 AM

PLO8 is a _completely_ different story.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ha_yeah_i_figured_that_there_just_isn't_that_many_ people_that_talk_about_huPLO8sngs_on_here
Old 09-27-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ha_yeah_i_figured_that_there_just_isn't_that_many_ people_that_talk_about_huPLO8sngs_on_here

[/ QUOTE ]

and thats your reasoning for coming up with utterly irrelevant stuff in a NLHE thread?

go get a cookie.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and thats your reasoning for coming up with utterly irrelevant stuff in a NLHE thread?

go get a cookie.

[/ QUOTE ]

and where in this thread does it say that it's a "NLHE" thread?

All i saw was HU sit n go.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 PM

When the effective stack is more then 20 bbs I dont limp at all. I min raise about 90% of my hands and fold the rest. I use to limp some and try to exploit my opponents pre flop holes but I found it just wasn't worth the effort. The very small profit I was getting wasn't worth the effort it took to exploit their pre flop holes. My preflop strategy is designed to cause my opponent to play as many hands OOP as possible while being as non exploitable as possible. I like to lull my opponents into to calling to many hands oop and then exploit that post flop.

Once the effective stack is less then 20 bbs my positional advantage has decreased to the point where I want them to fold. If I continued to raise 90% of my hands my opponent could easily exploit this. I will start raising the bb 3x and up while also limping and folding an optimal range based on my opponent.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the kind words Hra (Did you know we're from the same town?) I have moved to Spain, been giving my girfriend a hard time, doing some lurking here....and ehhh... playing poker :-). Later
Old 09-27-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks like that, but limping lowers ur expected value for basically any decent hand preflop and on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phenom, how do you address this type of player that Dippy mentions:

[ QUOTE ]
If the opponent usually either folds or raises to a pf bet, but is terribly loose post and not very perceptive, then it would make sense to limp very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the type of player I will limp a lot against. I can see an argument being made for bigger pots equates to bigger postflop mistakes by your opponent. Is there any other good argument?

[ QUOTE ]
When the effective stack is more then 20 bbs I dont limp at all. I min raise about 90% of my hands and fold the rest. I use to limp some and try to exploit my opponents pre flop holes but I found it just wasn't worth the effort. The very small profit I was getting wasn't worth the effort it took to exploit their pre flop holes. My preflop strategy is designed to cause my opponent to play as many hands OOP as possible while being as non exploitable as possible. I like to lull my opponents into to calling to many hands oop and then exploit that post flop.

Once the effective stack is less then 20 bbs my positional advantage has decreased to the point where I want them to fold. If I continued to raise 90% of my hands my opponent could easily exploit this. I will start raising the bb 3x and up while also limping and folding an optimal range based on my opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good post. So you'll play super loose in position by minraising a lot so that it gives you an opportunity to play more hands in position? Against an opponent who calls a lot, can't the same argument as above be made? By making it 3x instead of minraising, you let them make bigger mistakes by letting them play big pots OOP?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks like that, but limping lowers ur expected value for basically any decent hand preflop and on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

but phenom, isnt it true that when stacks get shallow, lots of hands are supposed to be limps? I mean let's say u've got 13bbs and you get K8o on teh button...then what?