Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 AM

Default Shorthanded river spot

Four-handed live 20-40.

Button is Goofball, who knows who I am on 2+2 and that Justin A is "always telling [me] [I'm] too aggro." But I've played too passively, if anything, in this session so far. (Rotating cast of opponents: a loose-passive guy, a looser-more-passive guy, Justin A, and Goofball.)

Goofball opens the button. (He's shown an ability to open-limp the cutoff, for whatever that's worth.) I threebet J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] out of the SB. BB calls and Goofball calls.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, BB folds, Goofball calls.

Turn 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Check-check.

River 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Bet or checkraise?

--Nate
Old 07-13-2007, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Shorthanded river spot

He's never calling a checkraise, because goofball plays good. But I doubt he's calling a bet either. He has a missed draw a lot of the time here, because he ain't peeling the flop with a pocker pair. I think the right play is check, and if you're lucky enough to get him to bet, you should merely flat-call for two reasons:

a) he won't call a raise anyway
b) you'll get the chance to slowroll when he flips over KT and proudly says "king high!" to which you shake your head, exhale briefly through your nose in a little frustrated laugh, nod a couple times, tap your cards to the table, and say "I knew you had nothing" and then go to fold but then find pocket jacks on your way to the muck. Laugh and take his chips.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 AM

bet the turn.

EDIT: nah. don't
Old 07-13-2007, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
b) you'll get the chance to slowroll when he flips over KT and proudly says "king high!" to which you shake your head, exhale briefly through your nose in a little frustrated laugh, nod a couple times, tap your cards to the table, and say "I knew you had nothing" and then go to fold but then find pocket jacks on your way to the muck. Laugh and take his chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOLOL!!
If there was a manual for slowrollers, this should be in it!
Hilarious!

bc
Old 07-13-2007, 10:04 AM

Are we c/c or c/f the turn?
Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 AM

I presume this is the game where both justin and patrick are super drunk, fwiw.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the turn.

EDIT: nah. don't

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a turn bet and a river bet for value. As played bet and get called by king or jack high. These shorthanded 2+2er filled games are always showdown monkey fests where any pair is the nuts.

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-13-2007, 04:24 PM

Bugstud--

There was some beer around when I showed up but I didn't get a super-drunk vibe. I also thought Justin played very well (for the 35 or however many hands I played with him).

DeathDonkey--

Thanks for this comment. I'm pretty sure you're right in a drunken game, but things were a bit more serious the other night. Though I'm not sure that makes a bet incorrect.

Ben--

I was check-calling the turn unless some on-the-spot soul-reading dictated otherwise.

Joker--

Excellent point. That's the sort of insight I come to 2+2 for.

--Nate
Old 07-13-2007, 04:40 PM

Why not bet turn and river?

I don't know what kind of goofball this player is but I can't see him checking an Ace on the turn. Also if he had A+j,q,k he probably would have capped with position. I would put him on a nut diamond draw or small pp.....eh maybe KQ of hearts?
Old 07-13-2007, 04:50 PM

love2--

Not that I don't think betting the turn is right--it's somewhere between close and definitely right--but I think that it's a little misguided to put someone on a very narrow range after he raises the button, calls a threebet, and calls this flop.

I was considering checkraising the river because I thought he'd have to bet many of his hands for value and he might bluff with some of them too. But I'm pretty sure it's better to just let him call (especially because he'll fold a lot of his hands to the raise).

--Nate