Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Hand from Poker Stars

This is a hand I played the other night. I got a nasty comment afterwards from the button who critisized my pre-flop call. He then left the room as I was typing my response. My read on him is that he raised very frequently in late position and showed some questionable pre-flop card selection. I thought he was LAG.

I think my pre-flop call is text book SSHE, which is what I am trying to do. His flop raise made me think I should check/call on the turn. I think I should have bet the river instead of check/call because there was no club on the river.

Any opinions?

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $16.70
UTG+1: $3.20
Hero: $17.05
MP1: $9.40
MP2: $7.45
MP3: $8.05
CO: $12.85
Button: $9
SB: $7.05
BB: $7.40

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is UTG+2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.4SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5.7BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.7BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 9.7BB
Old 05-22-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Hand from Poker Stars

I'd usually raise preflop and always c/r the flop.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 AM

I would also raise preflop.

Given that you didnt, I take a c/c,c/c,b/f line. I think I might over use this line...but my theory goes...

I don't wanna get raised by all those AK-KJ, plus, if he's betting a draw or QQ-TT I want him to keep betting.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:41 AM

I raise pre-flop, or fold if I don't like who's behind me.

The flop is better for a check/raise. The big disadvantage of this calldown line is that you have to pay off quite a lot to dominating hands, which are a large part of his range here.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:40 PM

I can understand the pre-flop raise. Like I said, I am following the SSHE tables. Perhaps I need to get beyond the reccomendations and get to the theory of it more and think. Plus I think I am not aggressive enough. Even at 4000 hands PT is indicating that.

A check/raise on the flop probably would have gotten a re-raise from the guy, based on what I saw. But maybe that would have been a good thing?

I can't see b/f on the river. If I had bet, making it 6.7BB, he raises and it is 8.7 BB back to me, not counting rake. That would seem worth it to call with top pair/decent kicker. Is my thinking correct?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:59 PM

All,

If you wouldn't raise KTo here (and second to act, you shouldn't), then don't raise KTs here. Multiway pots are your friend.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 PM

*grunch*

It's fine, but I'd probably check and call the flop instead of donking. A preflop raise I think is pretty close.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:09 PM

I'm gonna agree with Marchon, I'm not real fond of a oop raise with this hand PF and probably lean more towards a fold with it. YMMV though.

OP, regardless of what is going on in this hand, chat is mostly -EV. Unless you like to try and twist people into little tilt monkeys I'd avoid getting into it in chat windows.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:20 PM

preflop raise or limp? to me it depends on how the rest of the table is playing pre-flop...if the table is tight i would raise, if it was playing loose, i would limp...

re: post-flop c/r on the flop, or c/c then c/r the turn if no scare card comes...villain raised preflop so he ought to bet if checked too...

anyway, that is most likely how i would play the hand, although how you played it is good too if the villain plays aggressively post-flop
Old 05-22-2007, 07:44 PM

If you are going to play that way marchron, would you open limp this in MP1 too? How about KJs? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But yes, I don't wanna get into a preflop discussion. Next thing you know we'll be back on what to do with AJo in the blinds. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]