Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: $110 HUSNG -- Whats his range? Whats yours?

[ QUOTE ]
nicho,

poker is hard.

that is all.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

fo shizzle.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:24 PM

so did u call with your KJ?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM

1) What kind of PF raising and calling if you shove range do you put villain on?

2) He could be shoving thinking you have the A saying to himself "he probably floated with an A, I want my 7 paid off."

or

"He doesn't have an A here, I'll shove here with my 8 high, 9high, etc."

or

"I have 99, I'll shove here bc I doubt he has the A and I think he'll make a hero call."

2nd option is most likely as to what villain is thinking, I can't assign anywhere near accurate % bc this is a single hand played vs villain, I wasn't at the match nor do I know past history, but given your pretty LAG read and the line those are my guesses as to what he is thinking.

Is that the kind of analysis you wanted?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 PM

I had 56o.

This is what I was thinking during the hand.

If you disagree, please please please say so:

Villain is very aggressive which means that I should have probably folded preflop. I prefer folding here rather than calling with these stacks. I think its only marginally -EV though and not THAT important.

On the flop I think he easily bets this was any overpair + any overcards + any draw + any 7. So its very wide. I call so I can re-eval on the turn. I'm OOP, which is a pain with a marginal hand, but splash splash.

On the turn I think he either bets more with an overpair or checks behind fearing that I have a 7. He could also put me on a draw, but I think a 7 is more in my range than a draw. In retrospect, I think his bet is an overpair, so I should have folded here, especially since my 5 is no longer an out. Regardless, I call.

River puts an ace out there. This is definitely in his overcard range, but why shove? At this point I either have a missed draw, a 7, and rarely an underpair. None of those hands he should shove against. If he had a 7, I'd also expect a smaller bet. Same with 88-KK. Ace isnt in my range, but it isnt a huge part of his range either.

I just dont see it making sense at all. Had I gotten to the river with 33/44/55/99-KK, I can't see myself folding either any of these.

Comments on this analysis? (Its pretty much exactly how I thought it out during the game)
Old 09-13-2007, 06:50 AM

So you thought preflop was -EV.

You called to re evaluate the turn. On the turn you thought he had an overpair, but you called anyways.

On the river nothing makes sense so you call with your pair of sixes.

I have a hand that this reminds me of, it was from way back ago. A wise player once told me my train of thought was crazy, it makes this hand look standard. I'll see if I can find it after I get some much needed sleep, perhaps we can learn a thing or two from the two of these.

In regards to your thought process during this hand, if you assume villain is only two barreling with an overpair then why do you call the turn bet?

That's the part that gets me. From a LAG opponent who's raising wide and betting wide and shoving wide on this river you can almost justify a call with certain hands. Your call does not justify anything preflop, obviously on the flop and turn you're not going to give up a pair of sixes if you called with that sort of a hand preflop, otherwise that call is beyond terrible (you can't call with 56o purely for straight value). But anyways, if the player is such that you can narrow his range down to a majority of overpairs on the turn bet, how do you justify any of this hand? What kind of a LAG is this? I just don't understand this part at all.

We'll talk about this when I'm in a better frame of mind, but for now my comments stand.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:02 AM

umm, how in the world do you just call the turn w/ 56o OOP in a built pot this shallow(ish), you gotta either make your move on the turn or fold, I prolly raise the flop as well, and I dont call preflop with this, thats for sure, I just dont get what you were accomplishing by the call on the turn, I think it's either you were being too lazy to use proper hand reading and analysis, or... well I guess there is no other or, dont understand this one at all, poorly played IMO
Old 09-13-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you gotta either make your move on the turn or fold....poorly played IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the first part, disagree with the second part. There's gray between black and white. Most poker decisions are grey-ish, some are white and some are black. Lags force you into bigger areas of grey. I wouldve checkraised all-in on the turn though. Let Lag make the hero-call with Ace high, if that's what he has, but he'll probably fold. You're obviously screwed if hes got an overpair or a 7, but hell, it's poker, not rocket science. Goldmund
Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 AM

Im not gonna comment on postflop but are you sure calling a 3x raise at 25bb effective is only marginally -EV ?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:08 PM

You guys are right. I should have folded preflop. Postflop, I thought he was too likely to bet the flop and turn with overcards. This dangerous spot wouldnt have happened if I had folded preflop, which is smarter.

On the river, given how it was played, I think I have to call, but I don't like it.

FWIW, he had K8.