Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Define \"sport\" for me

My friends and I have this ongoing debate about what qualifies as a "sport." In my definition, it takes 3 things: (1) mental ability / strategy implementation; (2) physical ability / execution; and (3) defense.

The third point is usually the one of contention because it eliminates activities like golf as a sport. While I think golf takes skill and is a competition, I don't think it is a sport. A sport should necessarily allow for your opponent to affect your play in some manner. In golf, it's merely the lowest score wins; it doesn't matter what your opponent shoots if you can't score low yourself, and your opponent cannot alter your stroke or make you shoot worse through some sort of defense.

Thoughts?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Define \"sport\" for me

It's not merely lowest score wins. It's how you get the lowest. Sure, you can have the lowest score after 3 rounds, but that determines how you play on the 4th round to finish up the play. Let's say you have a 4 stroke lead, are you going to play the same aggressive style that gave you that lead? Probably not, you'll play more conservative to ensure you maintain your lead. If you play aggressive, you risk making a bad shot. Simlarly if you are down by several strokes, you can't play a conservative round. You need to make the more aggressive shot. Try to shoot over the hazard instead of laying up. Try to get on in 2 on a par 5 instead of 3. However, these aggressive moves will have risk and you either take the lead or drop several places. So, other golfers do affect how one plays their game.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:03 PM

I think track and field would be a better sport with defense.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think track and field would be a better sport with defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

javeliners vs hammer throwers
Old 08-17-2007, 03:09 PM

Defense doesn't make a sport, change 3 to "Competition" not defense

unrelated, but I like to classify sports, net sports (volleyball, tennis), Base sports (baseball, cricket) Goal sports (hockey, basketball), efficiency sports (golf, auto racing). Am I missing any categories?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

unrelated, but I like to classify sports, net sports (volleyball, tennis), Base sports (baseball, cricket) Goal sports (hockey, basketball), efficiency sports (golf, auto racing). Am I missing any categories?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good classification.

Missing some things like Wrestling / Boxing, though.

EDIT: Also bowling. and probably hunting.

don't know if you'd consider Javelin, Hammer Toss, Long Jump, etc to be efficiency? I took it more to mean like running and like archery/shooting, but I can see the meaning expanded.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good classification.

Missing some things like Wrestling / Boxing, though.

EDIT: Also bowling. and probably hunting.

don't know if you'd consider Javelin, Hammer Toss, Long Jump, etc to be efficiency? I took it more to mean like running and like archery/shooting, but I can see the meaning expanded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh yeah, "Combat"
Old 08-17-2007, 03:25 PM

using your definition

then bocce ball, and crocuet (sp?) are sports... horseshoes not really because your defense is played by beating them with offense, and running, swimming, biking, triathalons are not sports.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:26 PM

My definintion is basically the OP's without #2. I just seperate certain activities (Chess, cards,etc) as Non-athletic sports.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not merely lowest score wins. It's how you get the lowest. Sure, you can have the lowest score after 3 rounds, but that determines how you play on the 4th round to finish up the play. Let's say you have a 4 stroke lead, are you going to play the same aggressive style that gave you that lead? Probably not, you'll play more conservative to ensure you maintain your lead. If you play aggressive, you risk making a bad shot. Simlarly if you are down by several strokes, you can't play a conservative round. You need to make the more aggressive shot. Try to shoot over the hazard instead of laying up. Try to get on in 2 on a par 5 instead of 3. However, these aggressive moves will have risk and you either take the lead or drop several places. So, other golfers do affect how one plays their game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad you weren't Jean Van de Velde's caddie at the 1999 Open Championship at Carnoustie. Blew a 3-stroke lead on the final hole. LOL at French golfers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dR1pkCGY80
Closed Thread