Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Default ghost resolution setting

i have a mac mini hooked up to a dell 19" flat CRT monitor, although the same thing happened sometimes when i had my PC hooked up to the same monitor. the max i can set my screen res is 1600x1200. occasionally, though, i click on the settings and i can set it higher, but whenever i restart the comp it goes back to just 16x12. any ideas how i can get the higher setting to be permanent?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: ghost resolution setting

[ QUOTE ]
i have a mac mini hooked up to a dell 19" flat CRT monitor, although the same thing happened sometimes when i had my PC hooked up to the same monitor. the max i can set my screen res is 1600x1200. occasionally, though, i click on the settings and i can set it higher, but whenever i restart the comp it goes back to just 16x12. any ideas how i can get the higher setting to be permanent?

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be your refresh rate. (Click the advanced button then the monitor tab). A lot of CRT monitors will only support higher resolutions at lower refresh rates. Some people find lower refresh rates on CRT'S to be uncomfortable to look at. CRT Monitors strobe, and at lower refresh rates, this can cause eye fatigue for some users. I don't have any problem at all with 60hz, but some people find it very uncomfortable.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:27 AM

I looked at your OP and realized you are running a Mac. My instructions were for Windows, but what I said about refresh rate probably still applies. I don't have a Mac, so I can't give you instructions on how to get to that setting.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:40 AM

its not the refresh rate. i can set that as low as it will go, and also set the number of colors lower and the max still stays at 16x12. lol, i feel like im going crazy. i know for sure i have been able to set res higher before, but cant now.