Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: P-Stars NL .01/.02 - First deposit of $25 gone in 2 days... help?

Thanks for the screenshot, dude. Huge help. Here we go...

Your VPIP is way too high at both levels. Meaning, you are definitely playing WAY too many hands. Your Preflop Raise % is also WAY too low, considering how many hands you're playing. Your agression factor at all levels is also scarily low, telling me you are basically giving up to anybody who shows strength/resistance. You are running a very, very passive game, and that is akin to basically paying to watch cards get dealt online.

You're also only winning 37% of the time when your hand gets to the showdown. This is a function of playing crappy hands, and hitting something with them. Take for instance, as we discussed in another thread, you limp in on the SB with 6 2o- any two cards can win, right? The board comes 6 2 3 rainbow. Great, huh? Bet away. Turn comes 8x. River another 2. Chances are, even to a huge river bet you're going to call, because you've attatched yourself to your hand on the river. A guy who also limped in preflop calls you down with 2 9, or something equally as ridiculous. This is the reason why you need to tighten up, and play only hands you're comfortable showing down.

The bottom line is this: Tighten up. Raise your good hands preflop to show agression. Bet the flop after you raise to push people out of pots. Show down hands you hit, let the other ones go.

As a benchmark, good stats to aim for are around 18-25VPIP 13-18 PFR%.

There is a lot of strategy involved in turning your pattern around, but this is a good, basic starting point. Tight. Agressive. Solid.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 PM

Thank you very much. I know 800 hands isn't a huge sample, but I'm pretty sure my holes are quite evident even with the small sample. As my budget's currently a bit low, I'm going to stick to scraping together a bankroll of playmoney (oximoron?) to hone my loose card playing.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to look through some of my hand histories and post some in the microstakes forum... is there a way I can view them already converted in the poker tracker stats? Thanks again!

and hockey, played like 4 hands against you, lost .01

now give it back
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2007, 10:46 PM

As said above. The PT screen shows you are playing way way too many hands. 18-25 vpip is a winner here. it may be boring and you may be tempted to play that KQo in early position but dont. You will find your next 1000 hands profitable if you tighten right up and increase that aggression when you play.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:59 PM

Honestly, playing play money doesn't really help out at all. I'd recommend redepositing, and playing extremely tight, and aggressive. Make it difficult for any player to get money off you, and then when you have hands play aggressive when you think you have the best of it.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:07 PM

.......... get a job ....... and deposit more when u do............................
Old 09-27-2007, 11:34 PM

haha...
I'm living in Argentina until December as an exchange student. The job issue is a little.... impossible. Maybe I'll throw in another 20 and stop being so loose.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
haha...
I'm living in Argentina until December as an exchange student. The job issue is a little.... impossible. Maybe I'll throw in another 20 and stop being so loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good plan to me, just refer back to the starting hand list for some reference, and don't play outside of that range until you're starting to win consistently. If you're not sure how well you played a hand post in Micro Stakes NL, a lot of advice in there.

Hope to see you (winning) at the tables!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:21 AM

A few days ago i posted too about micro stakes issues. Not really same bussiness as you, quickly: ran well on NL50 for 3 month and now meeting big problemes at restarting a bankroll building on micro.
Any way , let see this post where KAYAKER gave 10 good points about micro stakes, btw some other reply where helpful.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=3&fpart=1

May be you just need to adjust your play style like i had too. 2NL is pretty much a different game than 25NL (scoop hehe).
From my own experience , all i can say is what i changed to be ok now :

- less bluff (1/3 of micro players are calling station especially on big bets !!! they love to be evolved in big pot even without good odds)
you would just do basic bluff ..for example vs 1 opponent / in position : immediat bet after a check when an ace of king fall on turn / river. Aggressively bet when a pair is created on the board on turn or river to bluff a miracle trips. Do not try to bluff tricky , draw or something else , in thoses stakes pot odds are a jokes for most players [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

- play ABC tight poker / patience / Position / starting hands / big hands-big pot

One more thing that come in my mind : on really big raise preflop , peeps tends to call any bet / go all in with just
about any hit on FLOP. For example you hold AK and bet 6BB , get called by a guy with KJ OOP ...on a flop like 4 8 K the guy will follow you to death for sure , that's not he case on NL50 i think.

Most of the times 1c/2c stakes are like playing poker with mommy on the kitchen table on sunday. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I am not a pro héhé but it's Just my 2c , GL [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 09-28-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Only if the pot is unraised for the non-pairs

[/ QUOTE ]

I would add AK and AQ suited as well. Of course, if you're playing a well-known villain that raises a ton, then you could expand that, but I think I would play the big aces for a single raise (but probably not a re-raise).

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I should clarify. The bit about not playing for a raise was intended to be for the specifically added hands. All hands you can play from EP can be played for a raise. In fact, I would usually open-raise with all of them. (Re-raises would be limited to QQ+ and AK.)
Old 09-28-2007, 03:18 PM

As others have said, you play way too many hands.

NL .02 is easily beatable by just being tight and reasonably aggressive.

There is usually little preflop agression at this limit, so raise good pairs, limp small pairs and only bet the small pairs if you hit your set. Play AK AQs. Don't even worry about the other aces, you can win with them, but you need to practice NOT playing hands.

With hand equal to a set or better, be prepared to get all your money in. Bet these hands hard, you'll often get callers.

Two pair and less can often be winners, but you'll see them beat often as well by really unlucky flops.

Remember, play tight, and the more players in the pot, the better your hand needs to be. AK on an A67r board is very strong heads up, but against 7 people, it's not nearly as good.

Play your $1 to $3, then leave the table and start over at another table.