Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: 5k hu sng - Let\'s make a deal!

PS for all the fools coming up with examples like "if you accidentally put 5k on blackjack when you meant to put 5" and analogizing so that this poor kid is the player and "ifihaditall" is the house... first of all ifihaditall is NOT the house because he can make the decision to be compassionate. and 2nd, i can make a similar analogy like... if ur in the parking lot and find a blank checkbook, you should go bankrupt somebody... after all, they made a mistake and as a poker player your job is to capitalize on mistakes.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS for all the fools coming up with examples like "if you accidentally put 5k on blackjack when you meant to put 5" and analogizing so that this poor kid is the player and "ifihaditall" is the house... first of all ifihaditall is NOT the house because he can make the decision to be compassionate. and 2nd, i can make a similar analogy like... if ur in the parking lot and find a blank checkbook, you should go bankrupt somebody... after all, they made a mistake and as a poker player your job is to capitalize on mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

cant believe you posted this twice without realizing how stupid it is lol
Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How to register for $5k HU Sngs:

1) When you open the Pokerstars lobby, enter your username and password. If they both match then you are ready to go.

2) Go to the 'Sit and Go' tab.

3) Go to the 'Heads-Up' Tab.

[/ QUOTE ]he probably already had this all done

[ QUOTE ]
4) The $5k Heads-Up games are right at the top of the screen. Now double click on your desired $5k Heads-Up game and the tournament lobby will pop up.

5) On the bottom left of the tournamnet lobby, click register.

Now this part is very important, so read it carefully.

6) When you have clicked register, you will recieve a message from PokerStars. It says:

" Note: if you disconnect or leave while registered for this event, a player can come to the table, blind you off, and win $5000 of your money. It will not be refunded. Please be sure to unregister from this event before stepping away from your computer or disconnecting"

7) Once you have read this message thoroughly, click the OK button.

8)Once again a new window will pop up asking you to confirm registration nad $5100 deducted from your account. Click OK if you are ready to play.

9) Good luck at the tables, retard.

[/ QUOTE ]there's another way to register for a tourny: click the register button on the bottom of the lobby with the sng you want highlighted and click ok. The click ok button is probably second nature for any sng player. Register and move to hit ok before reading the message box. You think someone that plays sngs a ton reads every message box before each sng they play?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:59 PM

u gotta explain to me why its so stupid because i still dont know. because in a hu sng if ur registered uve agreed to play for 10k? what if u dont know uve made that agreement?
mistakes happen, and if this werent an issue of cards most of you would swing the other way (i think). for example if u accidentally tipped a waiter $1000 for a $100 meal. you would speak to the manager, and it is almost guaranteed you will get to redo your tip - in which case youll prolly tip like $100 because the manager was so understanding. this is what the guy did, offering $800+ on your buy-in. Now if you imagine yourself as the customer who tipped $1k... sure, you made a stupid mistake. and technically the 1k is already the waiter's. but you're going to get it back.

I am not trying to be condescending at all (well... you were, but i won't condescend back lol) but i am very curious as to the moral thought behind justifying ifihaditall's action. i actually just spent like the past 15 minutes typing up a short essay of moral observations on this VERY interestign situation (in fact, i'm a dbl major and one of them is philosophy so i have some background... and i realized that I've never come across a similar situation.. perhaps dissertation time? lol). but as i was typing for 15 minutes.. i started thinking.. and i realized i AM unsure about the grounds on which i stand when i say that ifihaditall shouldve returned the money. this is complicated by the fact that he returned MOST of it.

so yeah... i know theres no philosphy discusson on here but personally this has captivated me
Old 06-14-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
u gotta explain to me why its so stupid because i still dont know. because in a hu sng if ur registered uve agreed to play for 10k? what if u dont know uve made that agreement?
mistakes happen, and if this werent an issue of cards most of you would swing the other way (i think). for example if u accidentally tipped a waiter $1000 for a $100 meal. you would speak to the manager, and it is almost guaranteed you will get to redo your tip - in which case youll prolly tip like $100 because the manager was so understanding. this is what the guy did, offering $800+ on your buy-in. Now if you imagine yourself as the customer who tipped $1k... sure, you made a stupid mistake. and technically the 1k is already the waiter's. but you're going to get it back.

I am not trying to be condescending at all (well... you were, but i won't condescend back lol) but i am very curious as to the moral thought behind justifying ifihaditall's action. i actually just spent like the past 15 minutes typing up a short essay of moral observations on this VERY interestign situation (in fact, i'm a dbl major and one of them is philosophy so i have some background... and i realized that I've never come across a similar situation.. perhaps dissertation time? lol). but as i was typing for 15 minutes.. i started thinking.. and i realized i AM unsure about the grounds on which i stand when i say that ifihaditall shouldve returned the money. this is complicated by the fact that he returned MOST of it.

so yeah... i know theres no philosphy discusson on here but personally this has captivated me

[/ QUOTE ]

all i was referring to was the checkbook example which is fundamentally flawed. If i drop my checkbook on purpose it doesnt mean that im giving someone permission to write checks for however much they want. If i register for a $5K HUSNG i am giving someone permission to try and take $5K from me. that's why taking the chip chop deal is not at all like robbing someone, because ifihaditall has no obligation whatsoever to not take the money, and someone who finds a checkbook on the ground does.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:13 PM

ok.. but in real life, you try VERY VERY hard never to lose your checkbook/credit card, right? (in fact, let's just say you're carrying out 5k in cash... using a checkbook entails writing checks, whatever.. complicates things) Doesn't this imply that you recognize that when you lose your 5k, you understand that you won't get it back (the huge majority of the time)? So essentially, when you drop $5000 on the ground in the parking lot, sure you're not giving someone PERMISSION to take it from you, but at the same time you know that it WILL BE taken from you, which is essentially the same thing - i.e. if i lose my wallet with 5k, i have pre-recognized that i won't get it back, essentailly i recognize that you will take it and so i offer a sort of passive permission in advance.

having a moral obligation to return the checkback is i think almost irrelevant, because it is a moral obligation that most people (at least let me assume? perhaps you won't and that makes a difference) ignore. This is the case especially if you find $5 on teh ground, not $5000. morally, the amount of money shoudlnt matter, but it does - which implies that moral obligations are not strictly adhered to in the realm of returning lost money.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:18 PM

IfIHadItAll is very nice person. I would used this opportunity and would been glad to do it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, there is a lot of highly advanced logic in this thread. none of the analogies given apply.