Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 PM

Default 50NL, flop top pair v Donk

Donk is 50/5/1.5 roughly.

Flop raise looks a little small, what you guys think?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($15.80)
MP ($7.38)
Hero ($48.50)
SB ($51.25)
BB ($110.30)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $2.50, UTG folds, MP folds.

Flop: ($7.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $4.8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, BB calls $9.20.

Turn: ($35.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $20</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $55.25
Old 05-12-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Re: 50NL, flop top pair v Donk

No love atall?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:43 AM

what do you beat on the turn and why does he donk there.
I dont see him check call the flop and then donk the turn with a worse hand then yours so good fold imo.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:48 AM

you might consider push the flop.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:19 AM

I am constantly amazed on 2+2 how often the advice is "just push". I hardly ever get my money in the middle except for value/+EV draw, which may be something of a leak, but frankly at the lower stakes I think our FE is so bad in so many situations that I'm not sure pushing is often the answer. Certainly not in a marginal TPTK situation.

Abo, I play this the same. In theory on flop you are asking him to put $10 into a $26 pot, so maybe he has the odds to call if he thinks it'll give him 2 cards. But betting more hardly seems like a sensible remedy to this!

I often find that this turn donk (from this player) is panic with a decent hand on seeing that diamond...which makes me think, one way or the other, his hand can beat yours.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am constantly amazed on 2+2 how often the advice is "just push".

[/ QUOTE ]I agree. Sometimes you just get rotten advice but unfortunately there's no quality control and some people, especially in the micro forum, just don't have a clue what they're talking about. A "tell" is when they say "fold flop" or "push" without any explanation.

I probably play this hand the same way. There's an argument you could just call the flop bet for pot control.

You raise flop, turn is a blank, he checks, what now? You have to check behind because if you bet and he shoves, you're folding. If he bets pot on any river, you probably also have to fold. If he checks a blank river, you can probably make a thin value bet.

You call flop, it makes it look more like you're drawing but actually you're just controlling the pot size and giving yourself the option to fold an unfavourable turn. You can call another bet on the turn because your hand is under-repped, and on the river you can probably show down cheaply.

I think both lines are OK. Mix it up.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:20 AM

I would most likely just call the flop for a few reasons.. usually when someone donks into a raiser either they have nothing or a big hand or a draw which you aren't getting him to fold, but there are quite a few different draws he could have, diamonds being only one of them. If the 8s rolls off on the turn and he does the same thing are u stacking?

I raise the min donks or really realy weak ones almost 100% of time, but his donk is a decent bet.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:37 AM

Sorry I didnt say in OP that this was at least the 2nd time he had donk bet me OOP (I had folded to the others). We had had a little bit of history, and he had been the more aggressive and gotten the better of me.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:39 AM

I think that's well played
Old 05-12-2007, 12:10 PM

IŽd play it the same. IŽd raise a little more on the flop, a psr is ~22$ so maybe 17-18$. It also makes stack-sizes on the turn a little more straight forward (push a blank turn duh, I donŽt know if a 6 or a J is a blank). You definately get value from worse Ts and draws playing this way vs this guy.