Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Simple hand...no clue what the plan should be on the flop

I have no idea what I am supposed to do on that flop. I have been raising my fair share but not getting out of line. First time Button calls me. Please comment on PF action also. Thanks!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t2060)
Button (t3255)
SB (t2135)
BB (t2830)
UTG (t985)
UTG+1 (t1930)
MP1 (t3115)
MP2 (t1635)
MP3 (t1200)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, Button calls t300, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t750) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 02-23-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Simple hand...no clue what the plan should be on the flop

You've got about 20BB and an M of around 13. Seems like a little short to be playing hands PF that are going to be slow to develope (if they even hit at all). Maybe just call? I think I would just pass.

Here's the thing about this kind of hand that really confuses me. After your PF raise you've got 1760 left. It almost seems like you're obligated to toss in 400, or so, after just about any flop. So, of your initial 2060, you've headed down a path where, PF, you are committing 1/3 of your stack with 98s.

If I decided to play this hand, I probably wouldn't raise PF. Seems like you want to keep the pot small, at least initially.

How about this. The way you've come at it you're pre-committing to laying out about 700 (with some possible FE). What if you call 100 and bet out 600 post flop? Same commitment in terms of chips, but perhaps greater FE?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:40 AM

yea i never raise this preflop, its a new thing i've started doing, not raising any marginals preflop, especially at this level. i think you have to check now.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:20 AM

I would also muck it pf. But with that flop, I'd bet/fold or c/r AI depending on button's agressivness (if he's agressive, c/r, if he's fairly tight, bet/fold)
Old 02-23-2007, 02:36 AM

lead 425 and hope he folds, shove if u turn a diamond

of course you cant all the time and it depends on the table but i probably raise this preflop
Old 02-23-2007, 06:58 AM

I like hamjams line.

I am playing things this way, raising first in and think it is going well. You often win blinds, or the pot on the flop.

cbet fold to a raise, shove a diamond turn.

Also, remember when you raise this pf, you are also getting the added equity on other hands down the line, esp your monsters. Only problem is, you have to survive long enough to get it!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:58 AM

I dont mind the raise here pf. I certainly prefer it to a call. I think that generally screams weakness unless you have done something similiar with a big hand earlier. When the flop comes Im betting about 2/3 x pot. As the button just called you Im guessing he doesnt have a big pair and most likely has 2 big cards. If he has missed that J he may well fold. If he has hit or was slow playing a big hand you'll probably get raised and can dump. Its cost you a lot but I think you have to try to win a pot that size with your stack.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also muck it pf. But with that flop, I'd bet/fold or c/r AI depending on button's agressivness (if he's agressive, c/r, if he's fairly tight, bet/fold)

[/ QUOTE ]
If you check-raise and villain bets a decent amount here, say 500, you're giving him 2.4:1 odds to call - he better have total air to fold there...

Folding pf seems a bit tight to me, depends on how loose villains have been. As played, I think a bet/fold is definitely the way to go, even if it sucks. The other options (check-fold or check-raise) suck more.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:07 AM

I like the preflop raise, depending on the table. If the people left to act are tight, and likely to surrender the pot, then raising in position with this hand is fine. If someone calls, you could still probably take it down on the flop.

On the flop make a standard continuation bet of about t550, and take it from there.