Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: OT: Words of sympathy for a fellow HSMTTer?

OP,

don't know how good the computer tech guy is. I've been able to retrieve lost data from a crashed hard disk myself via using a Knoppix boot cd. Knoppix is a linux-based operative system, pretty easy to use.

In general, backup of data can be done through several means:
- On cd/dvd. Ok for users without a lot of data, and mainly non-sensitive data.
- External hard drive. Cheap and easy to use (connects via USB). Can be automated via various software.
- Netbased storage. Most secure alternative, possibly a bit more hassle (haven't used any myself).

If you're a student, you probably have access to a file area on your uni? If so, use that for backup, and do backups after each and every day of work. In fact, I would store my stuff there and rather use my laptop for backups...at least if your uni storage has backup routines available (which I assume they do).

When I taught classes about basic backup and thesis', I recommended the following:
* Use uni file storage as main system.
* Use versioning, so if you happen to e.g. save over one of your documents, you can easily retrieve them yourself (saves the hassle getting backup from servers).
* Keep a copy on your home computer/laptop. Backup to these less often, say once a week.
* If you're really, really paranoid, e-mail yourself copies as well. Don't bother sorting these, just keep as backup if [censored] really hits the fan.

Follow this, and if you still manage to lose your files...well, chances are you're dead anyway due to massive nuclear bombing or the like [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]