Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2006, 05:51 PM

Default 3 standard floats?

this one ought to upset a bunch of you for many reasons. prepare to get riled you nits. these are all live 20-40.

1. 6 handed. i have 9d7d on the button. someone limps, a fairly conservative reasonable guy raises in the cutoff, i float, bb calls, limper calls. 4 of us.

the flop is 863 one diamond. checked to cutoff who bets, i call intending to raise any turn card, utg calls. 3 of us.

the turn is a Q rainbow. checked to me and i bet. cutoff calls.

the river is a 2. checked to me and i check.

2. i have 9d7d in hijack or cutoff full game. 2+2 lurker openraises (he is pretty tight good but he iso raised correctly w/ A9s and stuff so he has game), i float, both blinds who are extremely bad call.

the flop is 7h6d2d. checked to raiser who bets, i raise, blinds both call two cold, 2+2er 3 bets, i cap, all call.

the turn is Ts. checked to me and i bet, they all call.

the river is Jh. checked to me and i ???

3. full game. i have 8d7d in cutoff. 2+2er friend openraises, i float, sb and bb who are very terrible at poker cold call. 4 of us.

flop is KQ7 none of my suit. checked to 2+2er who bets, i call, blinds call.

the turn is another K. checked to me and i bet, blinds call, 2+2er thinks and folds. bb starts getting all hyper and saying "deuce, deuce, deuce!"

river is a 2. sb checks seemingly disgruntled and angry at the dealer. bb says "well i called for the deuce im gonna bet it!", i call.

how ya like dem apples?
Old 04-14-2006, 07:24 PM

Default Re: 3 standard floats?

Mike,

I think hand 1 is ok. The float is good. Your flop/turn plan is very good since pf raiser will usually bet his overcards again on the turn, and you are more likely to shake of teh other palyer with a raise. Turn bet is good. River is close. Villian either ahs overcards, or ace high. Depends on how much he will believe a bet from you here.

I don't like the float in hand 2. You aren't getting the odds, even if you expect the blinds to call a fair amount.

I think the flop and turn are perfect, and I would check the turn, expecting to lose. You may have a tiny bit of fold equity against Tx, but with all these opponents, someone is bound to look you up with a better hand, and I don't think you have enough of a hand to value bet.

I like everything with hand 3 except for the pf float.

I'm a tight nit [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

-Alex
Old 04-14-2006, 07:50 PM

Fold preflop you bastard!........Just kidding [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I couldnt resist after your opening statment. Heres my take on these hands.

Hand 1) Everything looks good to me but the river. The CO could easily have Ace-high here, are you sure a bet wont make him fold this hand?? I really want to bet this river assuming the villain will fold Ace-high. If this is not the case, then yes I like giving up on the river.

Hand 2) Flop cap is standard, but I dont like your turn bet. I think the flop action has defined your hand well. You are clearly trailing IMO, and a turn bet has no folding equity. (I said check the turn but now im editing this) With up to 17 outs I think you can justify this turn as a value bet, so even though you dont have the best hand and no folding equity, betting the turn is still probably the best play in this scenario, but I still think checking is a fine play too in this spot. On the river, its time to give up, you missed and you have 3 opponents on the river. Youre never gonna get a better hand to fold IMO so I would check.

Hand 3) On the flop you have bottom pair, your getting 9-1 To call, with two people to remain behind you who may or may not wake up with a hand. I would fold. I believe folding is +EV vs calling here getting only 9-1 with no backdoor draws not closing the action.

About the turn, This is a debatable bet at best, but I believe you only have to have the best hand here a very small percentage of the time to justify this bet, plus your bet should get the PFR to fold some hands that beat you like JJ,TT,99,88 so I like this bet.

On the river I would call. It looks like the SB is gonna fold, and the BB cant have a King or he wouldve probably spoke up on the turn, him value betting Qx on the river is also awkward considering how passive he played all other streets, and he cried for a duece on the river which I interpreted to mean he was drawing, so this will be a hopeless bluff oten enough to justify a river call imo.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:58 PM

1. Fold preflop
2. Fold preflop
3. Fold preflop

Don't play raised pots with trash just because you have position.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how ya like dem apples?

[/ QUOTE ]

They better be good since you won't have any money to buy more.

Hand 1: I am wondering what your read is on the CO. Does he seem like the type to fold for 1 bet with AK? You are getting 7:1 or so to push one more bet out there and although I admire your decsion to give up I am unsure it is correct. The rest of the hand is just kinda bleh but not severely bleh. (how about that for slick analysis?)

Hand 2: Once you make the float there is no reason not to jam the flop. Your draw is still huge with 4 players to make a turn bet correct although I really have to start thinking that one of the bad coldcalling donks may have a bigger flush draw after they call the 4th bet on the flop. River is an easy give up. I can't see you ever getting this field to fold and the 2p2 lurker is calling unless he has exactly AdKd. Even if that is his exact hand the donks are not folding a better hand.

Hand 3: I have no idea how to interpret the calling for a card and hitting so therefore I have to bet it tell. Waiting anxiously for your thoughts here.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Fold preflop
2. Fold preflop
3. Fold preflop

Don't play raised pots with trash just because you have position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your humor.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:53 PM

I raise flop in 1 everytime, I check river in 2. I play hand 3 the same if I decide to call preflop.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:28 PM

I don't think he folds anything you beat that he 3-bet on the flop so I'd check the river in Hand 2.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:22 AM

What's the difference between a float and a cold-call?

Hand 1: Looks like he's got a pair of 9s, Ts, or Js and that if he called on the turn when a queen hit he's calling on the river when a deuce hits.

Hand 2: Will the 2+2er fold a pair of 8s of 9s here?

Hand 3: My experience has been that when a guy calls for a card, about half the time he wants it and half the time he doesn't. I suppose he could have J-T here, but the sb's disgruntled look could be J-T too.

I don't like any of these "floats" for the reason that I love it when somebody cold-calls my raise with 9- or 8-high. I think you underestimate the importance of starting with the best two cards in limit hold'em.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:06 AM

http://www.twoplustwo.com/zee2.html

So what stage do you think you're in? This isn't meant to be a dick move btw, I'm really interested in your response.

1: Bet the river if he is good enough to reevaluate hands while they're happening. Not a lot of people can do this at live 20/40, just how good is he? There is a little margin here where a bet on the river is very good against specific opponents, but if they're better than that, it's a crap shoot. I suppose you checked because your image was crappy or you thought he was doing it with a pair between 88's and JJ's instead of Ace high hands.

2. Flop is perfect, cap this [censored] all day. Equity is your friend. Bet that turn too, charge those draws if they're around and get some value for your one pair. Check the river, you're [censored], pot is too big for people to be folding better hands.

3. Since SB hates his hand there is no point to raising the river, call because BB sounds like an idiot. Does he look like an idiot? This may make it even easier call.