Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Los Angeles: Things To Do And Places To Go

Dined at Peppone's in Brentwood last weekend.

Amazing.

Highlights included spag with filet mignon meatballs, a rich chocolate ice cream dessert, and 1990 Dominus and 1987 Mondavi Reserve basically at release prices. The wine list is insane there. +++++
Old 10-25-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

With your salary, though, it's a pretty close call. $400 after rent/utilities is basically being broke all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said 1400 per paycheck, not per month. I don't know about Charlie, but I get paid weekly. It sounds like he gets paid every two weeks.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

With your salary, though, it's a pretty close call. $400 after rent/utilities is basically being broke all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said 1400 per paycheck, not per month. I don't know about Charlie, but I get paid weekly. It sounds like he gets paid every two weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. and 1400 is what i have after taxes.

I've seen a couple of other places that are almost within walking distance of my work Robertson/Wilshire so I may end up just flipping a coin or something.

I agree about parking but i've never lived where there is "permit" parking so wasn't sure if that made a big difference. Wish i could afford my own place ughh
Old 10-25-2007, 03:07 PM

The only difference between permit and non-permit parking is that when your friends visit, it's impossible for them to find a place to park. Either way, both sides of the street will be jammed at night. In the permit zones, the cars have tags hanging from the mirror. Doesn't mean there's more spots.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:04 AM

Dude in Westwood I pay $750 with a roommate. (i.e sharing the same room). $1000 for your own room and restroom isn't that bad, especially in a decent area.

Two exhibits coming up:
LACMA: Works of Dali
http://www.lacma.org/art/ExhibDali.aspx

MOCA: Murakami
http://moca.org/museum/exhibitiondetail.php?&id=394
Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 AM

Anybody have any good nightlife recommendations? I live in Pasadena, but I have good friend who doesn't drink and still likes to go out so things on the westside aren't out of the question. Also, I've started to really dig going out in the Silverlake/Echo Park area, but still don't know very many places there.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:59 PM

The Jazz Bakery in Culver City is a great place to see live jazz any night of the week. The tickets seem to run around $25 a person but both of the nights I've been I was very impressed with the skill of the musicians.

jazzbakery.com
Old 11-12-2007, 07:14 PM

Hey guys,
My dad's business partner will be in town this Saturday. He's arriving at 5 PM but leaving at 11 PM (switch flight). My dad told me to take him somewhere nice, and with such a tight schedule I honestly don't know where I can take him (Around the LAX area so he won't be late for his flight). Anyone with any recommendations?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 PM

There should be plenty of nice restaurants in Marina del Rey. I don't know any off the top of my head but check Zagat or LA Times for Marina del Rey recommendations.

I've also heard about this steak house on La Tijera (like 5 minutes from the airport), I drive by it a lot but can't remember the name -- it's some '40s old school fancy steakhouse. Supposedly cool.

EDIT: Just remembered it's called The Buggy Whip.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys,
My dad's business partner will be in town this Saturday. He's arriving at 5 PM but leaving at 11 PM (switch flight). My dad told me to take him somewhere nice, and with such a tight schedule I honestly don't know where I can take him (Around the LAX area so he won't be late for his flight). Anyone with any recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Or you could just hang out at the spaceship restaurant at LAX. It's pretty cool. If your Dad's friend likes old school fairly fine dining - try The Proud Bird near the airport. My parents love that place.

Or there are some decent places in Manhattan Beach. The Greek restaurant Petros is one of my favorites.