Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Stars $55, River Decision with TPGK

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I would be folding the flop to that reraise, unless you have good reason to believe he's a donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no reason to believe he was a donk. If the board wasn't so coordinated I probably would have folded to the flop reraise. I decided to just call and see the turn since a draw was so likely.

Once he called my 1/2 pot bet on the turn instead of reraising I was almost 100% certain he was on a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well that's kind of my point, your either beat or he's on a big draw which puts you 50/50. So you're committing a very large % of your stack OOP when you have no idea what villain is holding. Against an aggressive villain you're stop-and-go on turn has some merit, except you bet only 1/2 pot. So he's still not folding any draw, as hes getting almost direct odds. If you really want, the stop-and-go is ok, but always bet close to full pot there. On river, it's definately a check/call situation.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well that's kind of my point, your either beat or he's on a big draw which puts you 50/50. So you're committing a very large % of your stack OOP when you have no idea what villain is holding. Against an aggressive villain you're stop-and-go on turn has some merit, except you bet only 1/2 pot. So he's still not folding any draw, as hes getting almost direct odds. If you really want, the stop-and-go is ok, but always bet close to full pot there. On river, it's definately a check/call situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with some of what you're saying. However, even after I call his flop reraise I only have 15% of my stack invested. This is not an insignificant amount of chips, but it's far from a very large percent of my stack.

I'm also happy with the 1/2 pot bet on the turn. Unless he has a combo draw he's not getting the right odds to call. If he comes over the top of my turn bet, I'm dumping my hand. If the river is a flush card, I'm unlikely to put any more money in the pot.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also happy with the 1/2 pot bet on the turn. Unless he has a combo draw he's not getting the right odds to call. If he comes over the top of my turn bet, I'm dumping my hand. If the river is a flush card, I'm unlikely to put any more money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
And if he's on a staight draw, can you still avoid paying off his small river bet? Or if he's has a flush draw + gutter? Or an acehigh flush draw, and he hits his ace? Or if he chooses to bluff a flush card when he's on a straight draw?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if he's on a staight draw, can you still avoid paying off his small river bet? Or if he's has a flush draw + gutter? Or an acehigh flush draw, and he hits his ace? Or if he chooses to bluff a flush card when he's on a straight draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably paying off any small bets on the river unless the flush card comes. If the flush card comes, I might lead with a small blocking bet but would probably just check/fold.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:49 PM

I like how you played this hand, up until the river. And I agree with the others - check to induce, and call.

Reraising the flop would have been bad. If he pushes, you have no way of knowing if it's a reckless semi-bluff, or a real (two-pair or better) hand.

I like the safe card turn-bet much better.

Folding the flop would have been even worse. To me it reads tight-weak to the max.