Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Carlos Mortensen first to win WSOP ME and WPT Championship

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

jigga what?

[/ QUOTE ]

jigga who?

[/ QUOTE ]

jigga please

[/ QUOTE ]

jigga- and thank you.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is nearly a comical response... vince van patten said he is being read like a book... ok i am here because i saw this and felt raul would be a good person specially seeing the boom in european poker sponsorship that is soon to come... I have seen him play hundreds of hands and not just the 7 hands seen on the wpt... i believe he is not as tight as seen and is one of the better players on tour (he will go with reads and make plays that 90% of players are not cabable of making).. i have played with almost every player and this is just my personal belief... I do think he has the personality and looks but needs to master the english language better... To me it is just funny how u can say he is or isnt the type of player that can help an online company based on 7 hands of which u have seen him play but maybe that is all that counts... This is just my opinion

David

[/ QUOTE ]

David:

You may have seen Raul Paez play in person and you may know him well, but...

1. The marketing reps from online poker rooms, most of whom rely on video evidence to screen players for suitability as product endorsers, have NOT.

2. Most competent agents who have to rely on video evidence to screen players for potential (because the cost of travelling to every tournament and observing every player in action is prohibitive) have NOT.

Mr. Paez need to make another TV final table first and display that he has personality (that means table talk) and he has game (by executing a well-time bluff or two). Until then, everything you have to say is just hearsay.

I was introduced to Dutch Chinese player Steve Wong 6 weeks ago. However, I couldn't decide whether I would represent him until I watched the video from WPT Festa al Lago Season 4. (His previous appearance on TV, the 2006 WSOP $1K rebuy event, consisted of just one hand, his bust-out hand, so that piece of video was absolutely useless to me). Two days after I watched the video, I met with Steve and agreed in principle to take him on as a client.

Remember: VIDEO, VIDEO, VIDEO. Hearsay does NOT count.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:20 PM

Steve strikes me as an excellent signing, Oliver.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may have seen Raul Paez play in person and you may know him well, but...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't play against Raul, but I did play against his father Jan '06 in Tunica at a $1/2NL game at the Gold Strike. Raul was watching a hand his dad folded to one of my bets (I didn't have anything) and Raul certainly showed some personality in yelling his dad in Spanish. While I didn't understand a word he said, the tone came thru. Rual read me well.

My 3 seconds of fame.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is highly unlikely to ever be duplicated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ridiculously terrible logic.

Assume an average WPT Championship field of 500. Assume in any given year there are ten former WSOP champs playing, or 2% of the field. Given that WSOP champs have some capability of winning tournamaments, their collective chance at winning the tournament is at least 5%. So, at least one out of every 20 years I would expect this feat to be broken.

Also consider someone could win the WPT championship, then go on to win the WSOP championship. This is of course a little more difficult, but possible, which should make it occur more often than once per 20 years.

Finally, the fields are likely to get much smaller going forward, yet the participation rate of former champs will stay around the same. So you could easily have a 200 person WPT championship field with 10 former WSOP champs playing, making a double winner a fairly likely event.

Keep in mind this year Hellmuth made it pretty far in addition to Carlos.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is highly unlikely to ever be duplicated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ridiculously terrible logic.

Assume an average WPT Championship field of 500. Assume in any given year there are ten former WSOP champs playing, or 2% of the field. Given that WSOP champs have some capability of winning tournamaments, their collective chance at winning the tournament is at least 5%. So, at least one out of every 20 years I would expect this feat to be broken.

Also consider someone could win the WPT championship, then go on to win the WSOP championship. This is of course a little more difficult, but possible, which should make it occur more often than once per 20 years.

Finally, the fields are likely to get much smaller going forward, yet the participation rate of former champs will stay around the same. So you could easily have a 200 person WPT championship field with 10 former WSOP champs playing, making a double winner a fairly likely event.

Keep in mind this year Hellmuth made it pretty far in addition to Carlos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down... just meant it would be unlikely, especially within the near future (next 10+ years). I was not making a statistical arguement.