Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2006, 03:09 PM

Default the 1st 15 mins playing SH

I run into this problem sometimes and I am not sure what to do.

You get your tables ready pick out and start them. Within the 1st 15 mins you get beat, crushed, annhilated by crap hands. Losing a rediculous amount of money. Your not playing bad and the tables are good. Obviously your image is shot. I don't go on tilt because I am too shocked at what just happened. What I do is slow down all my play and relax taking time on every decision.

What do you do? Can you exploit this somehow? Do you leave them since everything went to hell and people see you as an idiot loser that just lost a lot of money? (course you know your better than them)

I would like suggestions on how to handle it when the table is juicy. At the start you dont have reads on players or their tendencies. I usually give credit till I suspect otherwise.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:05 PM

Default Re: the 1st 15 mins playing SH

I exude deliberate agitation and disgust and pretend to be on tilt, and then overbet the nuts
Old 04-14-2006, 10:03 PM

Ill usually watch my table for a little while before i sit down. This is much easier to do online than in a BM. This allows me to see who plays what etc...Then depending on the game, use different stratagies to pick up pots(or bets). Sometimes you just have to bluff. If not you are gonna get stuck when you hit a bad run of cold cards. I also reccomend limit.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ill usually watch my table for a little while before i sit down. This is much easier to do online than in a BM. This allows me to see who plays what etc...Then depending on the game, use different stratagies to pick up pots(or bets). Sometimes you just have to bluff. If not you are gonna get stuck when you hit a bad run of cold cards. I also reccomend limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even read the original post?
You answered none of his questions and made irrelivant suggestions. Nothing in his post suggests he even plays no limit.

Your post really just sounds like quotes from a bad poker book.

paraphrased:

"watch your table for a while before you sit down. This is easy to do online and you can even make notes using a notes feature!"

"figure out your opponents' tendancies and then use an appropriate strategy to pick up pots!"

You're gonna get stuck when you hit a bad run of cards no matter what.

Why do you recommend limit? Beacuse you prefer it? The OP is asking what the best response to a bad table image is, not what game he should be playing.

Please don't take offence from my response. Hopefully it will help you to focus your responses better in the future.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:42 AM

I generally leave a table as soon as my image is ruined: Sure you can get paid off when you hit a big hand, but I'm more interested in stealing more often, and you can do that a lot more often than you can hit a big hand.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:34 AM

I usually run PPHG for 25 mins and get stats before I start. I select tables where I at least have 1 fish to my right and no LAGs to my left.

Occasionally I get the juicy table and the fish do run me over with outrageous luck like in the post. I find I rarely recover.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually run PPHG for 25 mins and get stats before I start. I select tables where I at least have 1 fish to my right and no LAGs to my left.

Occasionally I get the juicy table and the fish do run me over with outrageous luck like in the post. I find I rarely recover.

[/ QUOTE ]

PPHG = party poker hand grabber? Does this program bypass Party's efforts to prevent datamining?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:52 PM

I run into this sometimes. You start out a session (for me SH limit) and it seems to go like this-your raise preflop, one or two people call, u bet the flop one guy calls then you bet the turn and you get raised and u fold Ace high. That happens a couple times then I'll call down with ace high or a small pair and I'll run up against the nuts.

I usually just get up and leave. I don't want people trying to outplay me specifically in every pot, an my image at the time is inviting it.

Do you Multi-table a lot? NL, PL, or limt? What stakes? This will further help me answer your question.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:41 AM

Don't slowplay AA/KK pre-flop, they are the two best hands in hold'em!

When you notice the deck's coming low consistently, shift down and play the low unsuited connectors and one-gaps so you're more likely to hit the board.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I do is slow down all my play and relax taking time on every decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. Also remember adjusting your playing sytle is unnatural, especially when your entrenched after playing tens or hundreds of thousands of hands, but often eseential. Learn to account for specifically how players play against you rather than their stats in general and keep adjusting accordingly.