Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 04:44 AM

Default CTS - Your \"Well\" Post - A question if I may?

CTS – I recently re-read your well post and I really enjoyed it. However, I have a question that went unasked (unless I completely missed something) that I’d like to hear your thoughts on if you don’t mind. This is also an invitation for anyone to contribute their thoughts. You stress the importance of playing 3-bet pots well and I couldn’t agree more. I want to maximise this part of my game as I’m not convinced I’m playing them optimally.

From your “WELL” and excluding those "under certain conditions" hands:
[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> At a typical 6max table, what's your typical UTG opening range? </font>

Always:
22+
KQo
AJo+
ATs+
QJs
JTs

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a question more for reassurance that (a) I’m not missing out on opportunities and (b) not spewing too much OOP. The standard for all these scenarios is a 6-max $400NLHE table

Question:
You’ve raised to $14 UTG/MP with one of the following: 22+, KQo, AJo+, ATs+, QJs, JTs. The scenario is 4 different types of Button player who subsequently 3-bet you to $48.

I suppose the question is three fold:

(a) what are you "generally" 4-betting against said villains? (this one is probably easy but for those 2+2ers who want clarification)
(b) what are you "generally" cold-calling OOP against said villains?
(c) your line change with said hands against said villains when 100BB deep versus 200BB deep.

The players:
(a) 24/18 TAG -

(b) 18/12 TAG -

(c) 30/20 good LAG –

(d) 60+/9 fishtard -

I would like to think I’m in line with your decision making on this around 95%+ of the time. I just want to make sure, like I said, that I’m not missing +EV spots or spewing even a little bit.

I think there were one or two other questions that went unasked but this was my main question.

If you reply to this, thanks a lot!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Re: CTS - Your \"Well\" Post - A question if I may?

link to well post?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
link to well post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either search for it in the search function or go to the small stakes sticky that has the well posts in it. I'm not sure if it's the link to his full well post but it's a really good summary of all the poker strategy questions.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:17 AM

glad to know my opening range UTG 6-max is almost exactly the same as CTS, minus JTs (sometimes) plus some smaller suited connectors (sometimes).
Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 AM

Ummm, I play 20/14 and have a larger UTG opening range then CTS who plays like 35-25 on a tame day???

I think I need to filter my UTG small suited connectors and one gapped suited connectors to see if I'm bleeding...
Old 05-16-2007, 06:45 AM

This is his "always" open UTG range, his "usually" and "sometimes" ranges probably have all sorts of crap that you fold.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ummm, I play 20/14 and have a larger UTG opening range then CTS who plays like 35-25 on a tame day???

I think I need to filter my UTG small suited connectors and one gapped suited connectors to see if I'm bleeding...

[/ QUOTE ]

Tao - you and I sound fairly similar in opening ranges. Of course CTS opens with other junk like Big_Jim said but it's made me question hands like 76s-9Ts. I'm still trying to figure out how CTS has a vastly higher VPIP and PFR to me yet has a ever so marginally tighter UTG opening range. I guess his button opening range is 72o - AA [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Is there a simple analysis of why, rather, where CTS' high VPIP and PFR are eminating from?

I need to have a really good study of my PT this weekend.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:57 AM

UTG isn't exactly where you want to be opening up your game
Old 05-16-2007, 07:00 AM

CTS's stats are usually from 4 and less handed where UTG doesn't exist. And yeah, exactly what big Jim said.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tao - you and I sound fairly similar in opening ranges. Of course CTS opens with other junk like Big_Jim said but it's made me question hands like 76s-9Ts. I'm still trying to figure out how CTS has a vastly higher VPIP and PFR to me yet has a ever so marginally tighter UTG opening range. I guess his button opening range is 72o - AA [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Is there a simple analysis of why, rather, where CTS' high VPIP and PFR are eminating from?

I need to have a really good study of my PT this weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I see a PT shot of his -- "Att. To Steal Blinds" is like 45%+ so that 72o-AA range isn't too far off...

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If only I played better in 3-bet pots maybe I too could be this obnoxious from the button...