Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: stephenh
villager 3 75.00%
wolf 0 0%
seer 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Crazy Phil Laak story with Pics

Old 08-12-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm almost completely sure Laak paid off Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

are you ever not 'almost completely sure' about something?

[ QUOTE ]
, and at the stakes they were playing for it was at least $100K. However, I think that Laak has possibly misplayed his hand here.

The act of payment transforms Grant's crime from a difficult to prove case of attempted blackmail to a much easier to prove case of successful blackmail (by reason of the money trail). I'm not sure under whose jurisdiction this would fall, but if the US authorities investigate and decide to press charges it could easily get into the mainstream news and even become a feature segment of 20/20 or similar.

Do we have any legal experts who can comment on exactly what criminal statute the blackmail would violate, what US authority or authorities would handle it, and what evidence would be required to launch an investigation ?

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that nobody is going to touch it. How can you prove extortion when both parties won't admit it? Phil's not going to tell anybody Tom shook him down and Tom's not going to admit any payments were for keeping his mouth shut. Just an exchange of money between two old friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

this thread unfortunately didn't deliver after the buildup, but now that that has happened can't the thread just die already?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:30 PM

I would really like to know what is going on in this thread.... but its 54 pages - could any one provide some up to date cliff notes please. TY
Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM

I can do one better than cliff notes, I can tell you how to set up your profile so that mammoth threads are reduced to a manageable page length.

Or alternatively, you could just check Bill Rini's blog.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The mods deleted my new thread titled "What to do about Tom Grant?", no reason given.

Since so many of you have PM'd me expressing interest, I supposed we can proceed along on this thread. Here's my post:

What to do about Tom Grant ?

In this thread we discuss ideas for legally and ethically exposing the highly questionable character of Tom Grant and his business interests to the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why only Tom Grant? Why not both Tom Grant and Phil Laak?

I doubt Tom Grant gives a [censored] btw.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil Laak is great. Met him briefly in Vegas.. told him my girlfriend was a big fan and he walked with us and chatted to her.

This Tom guy is obviously a total swine. Phil should put a hit on him for real.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, supposed heroin smuggler and hitman hirer = great. Blackmailing said guy = total swine.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:19 PM

tom grant is [censored] annoying with his single line replies. it reminds me of every other incoherent new poster that comes up every month.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:30 PM

the original poster must be in on this,

however it is odd that he registered about two years ago.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tom grant is [censored] annoying with his single line replies. it reminds me of every other incoherent new poster that smuggles heroin with Phil Laak .

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-12-2007, 11:27 PM

Default New, Improved Phil Laak nicknames

The more I think about this, the more I realize that the settlement leans towards an apology and little if any money exchanged. Why?

There's far from sufficient evidence to nail Laak on anything, whether it be NYC's ancient history, or his activities in Thailand. Affidavits don't cut it, Laak would never need to set foot in Thailand, and by US standards these affidavits are coming from people who are too close to Tom.

Tom said that money wasn't the issue, and there's the problem of actually getting paid without being accused of extortion. Phil's concern is embarrassment, not incarceration. Poker history would place this story in the minor leagues so Phil's reputation would not suffer much and might even be enhanced (cf. Paris Hilton's incarceration buzz) though not in the eyes of UIGEA supporters. Phil's ability to earn from the poker tables is virtually untouched; I'd guess we'd all find ZJ, Gold's antics, more offensive from a purely sporting view.

Blackmail is not really what's happening if the demands are to correct a previous wrong committed. I'd also like a lawyer to comment on this, but I'm certain no action and no convictions will ensue.

Removal of this thread doesn't actually help Phil, letting the story die a slow death habituates us to any rumors floating around. Phil would like that.

At best I'd suspect Phil made a serious apology and MAYBE some vague commitment to future considerations, maybe even donations to selected charities (MS, War Amps, Paralympics) which he doesn't really have to deliver on--Grant's shot his last load.

To help Phil in this regard, I've provided some suggestions to replace his "Unabomber" nickname. Hmm, I don't seem to have the options to submit a poll, so here goes (someone else put it up). I suggest we allow 2-3 choices to the voter, and we are free to (mis)pronounce Laak -- 'Lock'* or 'Laaaak':

Phil 'safe-jack' Laak
Phil 'safe-crack' Laak
Phil 'hi-jack' Laak
Phil 'safe-walk' Laak*('Lock' is the correct pronunciation?)
Phil 'Unabomber' Laak
Phil 'Tunawhacker' Laak
Phil 'Two-No-Whacker' Laak
Phil 'the Whack' Laak
Phil 'Whack' Laak
Phil 'KidCrasher' Laak
Phil 'LimbWhacker' Laak
Phil 'the Artifact' Laak
Phil 'the Smack' Laak
Phil 'the Smack Whack' Laak
Phil 'the Smack Whacker' Laak
Phil 'Tilly Whacker' Laak
Phil 'Tilly Snacker' Laak
Phil 'Big Pussy' Laak (or any Sopranos/Mafia name)
Phil 'photo for half' Laak
Phil 'heavens to Mergatroid, exit, stage left' Laak
Phil 'knack for knock' Laak
Phil 'knack for whack' Laak
Phil 'payoff' Laak
Phil 'where's the exit?' Laak
Phil 'hitman' Laak (but he's not a hitman)
Phil 'Jesus' Laak
Phil 'Dolly' Laak
Phil 'the Master' Laak
Phil 'the Magician' Laak
Phil 'the Magician's assistant' Laak
Phil 'Brazil' Laak
Phil 'no legs' Laak
Bunny