Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Inevitable mathematical solving of chess, and Limit / NL hold\'em

I'm sure everybody has heard about checkers being solved mathematically not too long ago. I'm sure we can mostly agree that there are computer programs out there that are sophisticated enough to beat hold'em games in some capacity as well.

I'd like to hear from some math-sharp minds in this forum; is it inevitable that chess will be solved like checkers? Finally, do you think all the possible situations and decisions in NL Hold'em (or even Limit) could be broken down and solved for a perfect strategy? Would your answer change based on 2-handed, or 3-11 handed play, or stack size considerations? I imagine such a program would have to include a database program like Poker Tracker but with more numerous and more sophisticated statistics which can be used to constantly fine-tune the computer's strategy?

Intuitively, chess and hold'em seem like they can and will be completely beatable by programming in the future, but I'm starting to ramble but I'd love to hear from some more mathematically experienced...