Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Post Flop Aggression stats

Anyone have any ideas on what seperates an Aggressive player from a typical unaggressive Small stakes player ? It's pretty well agreed upon that aggressive poker is winning poker,

Sure. I could bet out every time I'm in a pot and have a super high aggression factor. Or, I could fold every time I didn't flop the nuts, but these, obviously, aren't optimal.

I play 25NL and my overall aggression is around 2 but I'm not sure what it is exactly that separates me from someone with an aggression factor of 4 or 5 ? I have a healthy PFR aggression, I cbet the flop quite often so my flop aggression is not bad, but beyond that, I find that c-betting 100% of the time or double barreling the frequent calling stations / slowplayers / check raisers can get expensive.

I've been wondering about the idea of stabbing at uncontested pots more often or playing middle/lower pair a bit stronger - currently middle pair or lower I rarely put any money in the pot.

I suppose also that if I can't raise, maybe I shouldn't call a bet - ( draws excluded ).

Also controlling the size of the pot ( another area I'm trying to improve on ) goes against aggression.

So, just wondering if anyone has put much thought into this and have any ideas ?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Post Flop Aggression stats

Right now my AF is like 4.5 I think. I think the reason mine is relatively high is that I rarely flat call pf. In many situations I 3 bet or fold other than calling because of set mining or if I feel like playing a suited connector in late position. I c-bet alot and I value bet thinly often. Sometimes too thinly, but in general it works out well. My pf and flop aggression are by far the highest and my river is the lowest. My turn is somewhere in the middle because I will often bet tptk again on the turn depending on the board as opposed to going right into pot control mode.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 AM

its all about 3 betting more often preflop, raising peoples cbets on the flop, and raising your draws... im not saying all that is optimal all the time... but that is how you will get a higher AF
Old 11-08-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been wondering about the idea of stabbing at uncontested pots more often or playing middle/lower pair a bit stronger - currently middle pair or lower I rarely put any money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You definitely can increase your winrate by doing this. Say you are in the BB, two limpers in MP and CO and you check your option. Flop comes A37 rainbow. It checks around. Turn is an 8. You should lead for around 1/2 pot with any two cards. You'll be surprised how often you take it down. This works against all but the most passive players.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:29 PM

Just to clarify - I run at about 18/15 - so my PFR isn't bad and my Flop aggression is around 4 due to my c-betting - it's just my turn and river agression stats are both under 2 ! I know that often I get to the river with TP or something like that and I will gladly check the passive player who has called me down to the river - I have been out drawn or slowplayed so many times. At the same time I suspect I'm missing value in alot of these cases - there are some players I just can't read !

Another type of player which I fear is the loose passive donk who floats me on the flop - sometimes I double barrel - but it starts to get expensive - especially when you miss and they call you down with bottom pair - alot of the time - more lately - I'll just give up and check if I miss - which pretty much guarantees a bet but this is a passive play.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 PM

i think with PF not counted in the AF stats anything over 2.5 is ok. I think normal per street aggression for most people is something like 3-5flop/3-2turn/2river. my total AF is 3.7 not counting PF, counting PF more like 5.7.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 PM

You have to be aggressive to win but you don't have to be loose aggessive. Don't play different to try to increase a number. If you are already a winning player just concentrate on plugging your leaks.

If you have a good grasp of the game then try loose aggressive and see if it works for you. If it doesn't switch back.

BTW, i found a leak - don't bluff loose-passive donks.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:50 PM

My flop AF is very high but I don't think I'm aggressive overall. I just don't flat call many flop bets and play against mostly passive players. Almost always I'm the one betting or I fold.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 PM

aggression factor doesn't tell you much as you can have a high AF for 2 different reasons. Either you bet or raise a lot or you just don't call bets and it's mostly bet, raise, or fold. what separates the unaggressive from the aggressive players is controlling the hand. against aggressive players you want to keep them thinking they have the lead in the hand and with passive players you want to keep them thinking they'll get paid off if they hit the right card(s).
Closed Thread