Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Prop bet thread

[ QUOTE ]
Odds my wife is ever wrong again (in her eyes).

But seriously. I have a friend that is a scratch golfer. I typically shoot 93-100. More like 90-95 by the end of the summer He plays straight up and I get to play a 4 ball scramble. We would play 6 holes a day because I don't think I could swing the club something like 300 times in one day and this shouldn't be an endurance test.

Neutral course that neither of us has played.

Who should get odds? What other information would be revelant.

SMS

[/ QUOTE ]

You're gonna kill him
Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 PM

I would do the Seattle to Miami walk starting next August for 100k. The rules would be never once getting into a car, bike, or moving forward on anything other than your two feet. The only clause would be if there was an emergency and I had to goto the hospital I could take ambulance and would have to return to the spot I was picked up and start from there.

I would donate 50k of the 100k to a charity picked out by the person that bets me. If I used a car or did not complete the walk I would pay 100k for failing the mission.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in another forum, 2+2er Apathy had a prop bet with Usher and Durr that he could do 1000 pushups in one 24-hour period. He made it to about 630 and quit.

Irieguy has now booked the same bet....I have action against him...

personally, I think it's close to impossible for 99% of the population...

[/ QUOTE ]

This bet is uninteresting in the context of an internet forum proposal, ie, if somebody says "I bet I can do 1000 pushups in 24hrs," then they probably can.

But it's quite interesting when it simply comes up in a conversation extemporaneously. That's how Apathy got the bet booked and that's how I got the bet booked. I had no idea at the time if I could do 1000 pushups in 24 hours because I hadn't done a pushup in several years. Now I'm stuck with the bet and I'm actually trying to get more action because I want it to be worth the trouble.

Last night we were discussing the bet at a BBQ and just about everybody there thought they could do it, including two girls. I'm pretty sure everybody at the BBQ was at least a small dog to win the bet, though they were all sure they could do it. So I actually think there is money to be made betting the don't on this prop, but you have to book it with people who are simply talking out of their asses at a party. I know lots of these people, so if I fail when I try next weekend I'll just get all of my money back the next day by booking the bet with all my trash talking lazy friends.

Irieguy

PS: I still think I can do this and would be willing to take additional action if the odds were attractive enough that not only myself, but the two girls who said they could do it, will all succeed next Sunday. For example, I'll take 3:1 on any amount over $500 and less than $10K that all 3 of us are able to do 1000 pushups each over the same 24 hour period. The two girls are approximately 25 and 27 years old and in pretty good shape though neither of them do pushups regularly. They both have jobs, one of them works out regularly and the other works out sporadically. Neither of them has children. Apathy seems stronger than both of them, but it's close. If any of the 3 of us fail, you win. PM me if interested.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:49 PM

All--

OK, OK. Walking bets that can be completed before I leave Las Vegas are boring.

I'll be moving to NYC in the fall. Might I get some action on walking there from Boston?

--Nate
Old 07-27-2007, 11:24 PM

I am a 12-16 Handicap golfer. How many strokes do you give me if I use just my driver for the entire round? Willing to take action up to 100k.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:21 AM

Re: the basketball offer.

I go to UGA, and have watched Tasha Humphrey practice several times, and met her casually once. We aren't 'friends' by any means, but I am sure she would be a large favorite over a typical college intramural athlete.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/ViewArtic...;ATCLID=536904

A big bruising post player, 6'3, strong, fast, good handle. Also in addition to being bigger and stronger than a typical guy, she's probably a better three point shooter, as she led the SEC in three point shooting when counting league games. 1st team All-American.

Yes, she's an absolutely elite player, but my point is basically that i think an expert handicapper would probably favor her over you. We could try to contact her if you want to, see if anybody could pony up some cash and make this happen, lol.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I go to UGA, and have watched Tasha Humphrey practice several times, and met her casually once. We aren't 'friends' by any means, but I am sure she would be a large favorite over a typical college intramural athlete.

A big bruising post player, 6'3, strong, fast, good handle. Also in addition to being bigger and stronger than a typical guy, she's probably a better three point shooter, as she led the SEC in three point shooting when counting league games. 1st team All-American.

Yes, she's an absolutely elite player, but my point is basically that i think an expert handicapper would probably favor her over you. We could try to contact her if you want to, see if anybody could pony up some cash and make this happen, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am still interested in this.

Any action against me if we could get this to work?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am still interested in this.

Any action against me if we could get this to work?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you use a men's ball I'll take a guy from the park. With a women's ball it becomes much closer imo.

7v11 soccer bet-If you have a very good team of girls then I think that you'd have to have 7 guys that are close to world class to beat them if you're looking at people over 16 or so years old.

I read the McDonald's/shaved head/no talking/walk cross country bets as something that is no risk to you (ie. I'll give you $5 to drink that hot sauce type things that you throw out there all the time in casual conversation). Under this assumption I'd work at McDonald's for 20k+my pay from there. I'd do half a shaved head for 2 years for 100k, presuming that I'm allowed to tell people why I'm doing it (I'd do it for less if I was older/married). I wouldn't take the no talking bet no matter what. 2 years is just way too long. I'd do the walking bet for 50k assuming I'm allowed to stop and sleep/eat/rest whenever and wherever I want as long as I'm doing all the travel by foot (and that I'd be allowed to postpone it or come back to where I was in case of family emergency or medical issue obv).
Old 07-28-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Come to think of it, these fitness prop bets are just bragging and don't really belong in this thread. No one is gonna give action to a stranger willing to take on some challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it might be better to pick a few (like 5 or 10) non betters to be the ones doing it. Then allow the betters to bet on specific people doing it, total number doing it, overunder for each person, etc..Might have to kick these people a few bucks..Would be like a horse race. But with pushups and busto players..

Might be hard to find the right particiapants But this seems like a fun way to do some of these fitness challenges..
Old 07-28-2007, 08:31 AM

the 1000 pushup thing should not be that difficult for a lot of people. back when he in the army, my roommate could probably have done 1000 one handed pushups in 24 hours. (alternating hands) and i'm not 100% sure he'd have to alternate.