Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Overall approach check for relative newbie

As you can tell by these two hands, I’ve still got a lot to learn. I just don’t know what it is yet.

Hand 1

Hero is pretending to be a TAG, but is more likely weak-not-very-tight at 23/15/1.5. Usually, I’m a bit tighter and more aggressive, but I can’t seem to get anything going (for example, I’ve had PPs 23 times today without hitting a single set). Villain is ultra loose-passive (52/0/0.2)

BU ($28.45 in chips)
SB ($14.60 in chips)
BB ($25 in chips)
Hero ($33.05 in chips)
UTG+1 ($13.75 in chips)
MP1 ($28.40 in chips)
MP2 ($20.45 in chips)
CO ($14.90 in chips)

Hero is UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero: raises $0.75 to $1, three folds, CO calls $1, three folds.

Flop ($2.35) T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, CO checks (Is this weak? My rule not to C-Bet if there are two cards T+, unless checked to me in position)

Turn (2.35) T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, CO bets $1.75, Hero calls 1.75

At this point, I think his most likely holding is Tx, now not scared of the J on the board. Obviously, Jx is also possible, but I think less likely because Villain probably would have bet the flop with two hearts showing. Also, another pair or some kind of draw are possible (tough to put a guy on a range when he plays half his hands).

So I called, thinking that I most likely have 10 outs—5:1 against, but with more than 2:1 already in the pot and a good chance of getting the remainder on the river

River ($5.85) T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, CO bets $5, Hero???

Hand 2

Villain here is also loose-passive, but not as bad as the first (44/11/0.7)

UTG ($25.90 in chips)
UTG+1 ($10.85 in chips)
MP1 ($29.65 in chips)
MP2 ($20.35 in chips)
HJ ($11.60 in chips)
CO ($11.75 in chips)
Hero ($26 in chips)
SB ($41.85 in chips)
BB ($47.70 in chips)

Hero is Button with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Two folds, MP1 calls $0.25, two folds, CO calls $0.25, Hero raises $1.25 to $1.50, one fold, BB calls $1.25, MP1 folds, CO calls $1.25

This might be a bit loose, but I’m trying to learn to be more aggressive in position.

Flop ($5.10) T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, CO bets $1, Hero raises $2 to $3, BB folds, CO calls $2

I dunno here. On the one hand, it’s a donk bet into two players from a passive player, which might mean he has something. On the other hand, I have a piece of the flop and I’d hate to get bluffed of what might be the best hand right now. So my objective with this raise was to fold out randomish Ts and 9s.

Turn ($11.10) T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

CO bets $1, Hero calls $1

Again, I dunno. I didn’t raise, because by now I’m convinced he has a T or a 9, and he’s not folding. But I figure with probably 6 outs, I’m getting odds to call at 12:1.

River ($13.10) T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

CO bets $1, Hero??? OK, it's a buck, but I'm really more interested in my whole approach, rather than what to do on the river here.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Overall approach check for relative newbie

Sorry dude, you got alot to learn.

Hand #1

I would CB here. You are heads up, despite the less than optimal board, it's still worth it. After not giving a shot on flop or turn, check/calling turn seems dumb. You are better off betting the turn if you were planning on calling...

Hand #2
OK, your're the button, raising a suited ace isn't too bad, but this is a pretty laggy play, if you're comfortable playing this way, fine.

After being donked, OK, raising can be OK, but min-raise accomplishes nothing. Either fold or raise like a man. From here on, fine your're getting good pricing, but still, you don't have much. Either attack somewhere if you think they are weak or fold.

You need to get more aggressive in general in my opinion. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:59 AM

On the first hand you said:

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is ultra loose-passive (52/0/0.2)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just cbet the flop, this villain is calling preflop with so much crap that's it's profitable to cbet any flop. Once you check the flop and he bets the turn fold. The villain has an aggression factor of 0.2, you really think he's bluffing?

If you are going to use stats (pahud), use them to your advantage.

As for the second hand, raise his lead to around 4.5 or so, and you can give up if he calls that.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Is this weak? My rule not to C-Bet if there are two cards T+, unless checked to me in position)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is super weak dude. Throw this rule out the window. If I raise pf and get only 1 caller, I am cbetting just about ANY flop.

In the first hand, its time to give up the hand on the turn when villain calls bet and bets turn IP. Your math is little fuzzy there to say the least. As played river is instafold. You said yourself villain is super passive, so what is he betting here that you beat? Nada.

Hand 2: fold flop. you missed.

I know that you are trying to be more aggressive, but you need to learn and think more about SELECTIVE aggression and what it means.