Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Ask me anything about Japan/Japanese

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious what kind of personal experience you had in Japan that made you think that Japanese think they are "the cream of the whole crop." Care to elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no one experience, just a lot of late night conversations with copius amounts of substance abuse with Japanese rafting guides. A lot of talk about the structure of Japanese society, the attitude to outsiders, the view of other races, etc. It was all very enlightening stuff and I was always careful to not talk about any of it with them in the light of day as it made them very uncomfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but I hope someday you'll go to Japan and live there for a while. I'm sure then you'll have different perspective of Japan, good and bad.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do they still have those awesome game shows where you think people could get seriously hurt?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ll2kajMH2u0

[/ QUOTE ]
It's no longer on the air, but when I think of TV shows that you can get hurt, I always think of "Takeshi Castle." I don't think we have shows like this anymore. Maybe once in a while. I'm not a big Japanese TV fan because some of the shows are atrocious and embarrassing.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do they still have those awesome game shows where you think people could get seriously hurt?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ll2kajMH2u0

[/ QUOTE ]
lol that was amazing
Old 09-29-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although I'm sure few still think this way, and a lot thought this way long time ago, but most of the people these days don't think that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding? Just look at how Japanese people think of Okinawans. And they're part of their own country!

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying Japanese people who don't live in Okinawa sort of look down on Okinawans? If that's the case, you're wrong.

In your opinion, how do Japanese people think of Okinawans?

[/ QUOTE ]
That they're uncivilized and stupid and should be a part of China or at least not Japan

[/ QUOTE ]
This is definitely not true. A lot of people even move to Okinawa from other part of Japan. Japanese people usually think of Okinawa as an island with beautiful ocean and a little bit different (not inferior or anything) culture. I was in Okinawa last spring, and I had a great time. Where did you get that idea?

[/ QUOTE ]
From when I took an Okinawan cultural history course while living there, and talking with a bunch of mainlanders.

They might think it's a beautiful island, but that doesn't mean they consider Okinawans to be a part of their culture. They don't, and they definitely look down on Okinawans quite a bit.

But honestly, I'm not going to get any deeper into this with you. I'm glad that you're excited about Japan, but half of the people in this thread think they know more about it than you.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

No, really, I wasn't kidding. Also, nice way to refute my statement.

"Hey, you're kind of retarded, and I know something about Japan because I actually took a course on it while living there."
"Uh..............nuh-uh!"
Old 09-29-2007, 12:46 PM

This thread should be retitled "Ask me anything about Japan and I will dispute anything negative about the Japanese culture and lob personal attacks at you if you say anything I personally disagree with, even if it's seemingly harmless outsider opinions of the Japanese"
Old 09-29-2007, 01:13 PM

The answer to a lot of these questions, in particular, the racism against other Asians stuff, depends a lot on which part of Japan you are talking about as well as the age of the people you are talking about. In any case I don't see why it's so heinous, since about half of Americans think they are superior to everyone else.
Japanese nationalism is pretty huge among pretty much everyone in power in their government including the Yakuza (whose influence is extremely widespread) but my sense is that the true nationalists make up only a very small % of Japanese people. The last prime minister was ran out for having such unpopular views, in addition to being incompetent. Then again, I never really hung out with any guys in Japan and everybody knows young girls are usually liberals.
Those ridiculous English shirts were huge when I went to Japan five years ago, they were huge when I was there last year, and they'll be huge five years from now. But other ridiculous trends will come and go in that time.
Any decent looking guy and usually worse than that is going to have a pretty easy time of it when it comes to girls in most parts of Japan, but around Tokyo it probably won't help or hurt you much compared to say in America. Especially where white guys are rare, it's a pretty big status symbol to be dating a white guy for a lot of girls there. But don't expect anything long term and bring your money, many girls are expensive. Oh, and if you are interested in anything long term, it helps in this department to speak Japanese even if some people might think you are weird for it at first, because there's something about the personality of girls who actually learn English there that makes them different from everyone else.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:30 PM

Soh,

How do parents of a Japanese girl, both the mother and father individually view a guy she is dating that is americanized asian?

Do Japanese parents want their daughters to date other Japanese?

Is it possible to never meet a Japanese gf's parents?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:02 PM

How easy is it to go to a pro wrestling show in Tokyo? In another major city? There are like 10 major independent promotions in Japan (compared to ~5 in America), I'm wondering if there are wrestling shows every week, every month, or what.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do parents of a Japanese girl, both the mother and father individually view a guy she is dating that is americanized asian?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think the parents will have problems just because the daughter's date is Americanized Asian.

[ QUOTE ]
Do Japanese parents want their daughters to date other Japanese?

[/ QUOTE ]
The older the parents, the more they want their daughters to date other Japanese. Younger parents tend to care less whether their daughters date Japanese or not.
[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible to never meet a Japanese gf's parents?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you can't see a Japanese gf's parents.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How promiscuous are Japanese girls. Would a fairly confident and good-looking guy such as myself be able to get laid easily over there?

[/ QUOTE ]

my gf is Japanese. I`ll give her answer to many of these questions.

She says with regards to promiscuity it depends on the girl. She also said japanese guys tend to be selfish in the bedroom. Ouch.