Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Quick trip to Vegas

I am flying to New Mexico for a conference in late November and am planning a quick trip to Vegas on my way back home to Melbourne.

Does anyone have any advice regarding accommodation and games. The Sahara looks like a decent option as it appears to be located on the strip and is relatively cheap. I was also thinking of playing the tables at the Mirage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Quick trip to Vegas

South Point is very very nice for the price. You can get $70 rooms. You'll be shocked how nice it is for that price. Caters largely to locals, and the poker is enjoyable. It has a incredibly high user rating at Yahoo and other travel sites. I've stayed there many times. It is off the strip (2-3 miles?), but they have a free shuttle that will take you to the strip.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:26 AM

If this is your first trip to Vegas, it is very much worth the money to stay on the Strip. You'll want to be close to the heart of the action.

There are decent options if you are budget minded. The Flamingo, for example, is in a great location and usually cheaper than surrounding properties.

Mirage will have plenty of games. The other big rooms that get a lot of mention here are Bellagio, Wynn, Caesars Palace, Venetian, MGM. Most think Bellagio is poor for customer service, while Wynn, Caesars and Venetian score higher there.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the advice! I will check out your recomendations.

Does anyone know the best way to book a room? Is it cheaper to book through an online agent or directly through the hotel?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:08 PM

Generally, booking through a hotel is cheapest. Plus, when you book through the hotel directly, you have much greater flexibility for canceling if you happen to find another a better rate after booking.

Which is what you should do. Vegas hotel room prices fluctuate practically by the hour. So best to use a site like Travel Axe to find something you like, book directly through the hotel, then look every week or so to see if something better comes up, then jump on that.