Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-17-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Stud 8 position

Your in a typical stud 8 game, you have the option to change your seat to sit on the right, the left, or directly across from the fishiest player.

Where do you sit, and why? Think carefully about your answers before you post, there are multiple factors at play. Think about 3rd street, 4th street, and 5th street and beyond. Do you give up equity on early streets to gain a post-flop advantage, or do focus on gaining equity on 3rd street?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Stud 8 position

[ QUOTE ]
Your in a typical stud 8 game, you have the option to change your seat to sit on the right, the left, or directly across from the fishiest player.

Where do you sit, and why? Think carefully about your answers before you post, there are multiple factors at play. Think about 3rd street, 4th street, and 5th street and beyond. Do you give up equity on early streets to gain a post-flop advantage, or do focus on gaining equity on 3rd street?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he loose-passive or loose aggressive?

-ChipsAhoya
Old 10-17-2007, 11:40 PM

I don't play much stud/8 but I do know that in omaha/8 one of the worst positions is directly on either side of a good player, because you want someone to play along when you have the nuts one way, they have it the other, and there are idiots in the middle. The key is, there needs to be a middle. stud/8 must have similar situations where you want to make people call more bets without having to call 2 cold.

In loose O8 games isolating is not an option, so preflop position doesn't matter (as much). However, position is constant during the hand, I admit I still have trouble strategizing in stud before 6th because I don't know my future position.

So I might tend to have the fish across from me. To the left would probably be the worst since I'd like him in hands before I raise, fish will call 1+1 more often than 2, even bad ones.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is he loose-passive or loose aggressive?

-ChipsAhoya

[/ QUOTE ]

you tell me for both LDO [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 11:37 PM

Full game right?

What type of fishy? Super aggressive, super passive calling station, what?

Either way now that I think about it I still want to be on his left.

Thinking about 4th and 5th is kinda silly though IMO because your position changes based on your board.

Also now that I re-read sitting directly across might be good also if the players on his left think they play well but don't.

Good post that gets you thinking but IMO, as always, 'it depends'
Old 10-18-2007, 12:14 AM

Partially depends what kind of fish and who the other players are.

In hilo games I really think that either side or across from a horrible loose passive player are okay spots with reasonable upsides because unlike games that are just high or low in hilo games you like multiway action with a lot of your hands. If the game is HBTSR I would automatically say that I'd rather be on his left. I don't know if this is for sure the case in Badugi but since I am not experienced in that game I prefer pots to be HU with me against a weaker player that I can identify the leaks in. In EO I know that I do not like sitting on the right of players who frequently raise/reraise because I am more comfortable on later streets when the pot is not huge.

Against loose passive fish it can be nice to attempt to isolate him with high oriented hands when you're on his left, but if you are on his right or across from him you can limp in spots where you might normally raise in the hopes that he will come in frequently. Keeping the pot small on the early rounds in the hopes of letting him in more often to make terrible decisions on the later rounds. That's not to say that building a pot early is horrible, they are obviously still throwing money away building huge pots with 993/TJ7/268r but if they are allowed to make the pot enormous on 3rd/4th then their big bet street mistakes may not even be mistakes and I prefer for their mistakes to just pile on top of each other in the form of terrible small pot play.

Even ante size is a consideration. In a crappy 10/20 Stars type structure I think anywhere is fine because ante stealing is not as vital. In a 30/60 online or 1/4-1/6 small bet ante live structure being on his right won't be so hot because you will have to forfeit a lot of good steal situations.

I'll go with the old faithful "it depends". I can say that many times in an online Holdem game with 1 awful player and 4 somewhat sane ones I have decided to not even play because I didn't want to be on the psycho's right but I've been happy to sit in any good Stud 8 game no matter where I am in relation to the fish.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:28 AM

HOWMANY: Badugi is a push-pull game if you play optimally, know when you want others to draw, and know when you want to isolate. Only downside to this strategy is vs a great playing opponent (VERY rare) you turn your hand over quite often with your actions

Back on topic. Say the fish is loose-passive. On your right you lose the ability on 3rd street to steal the antes. You often gain a post flop edge but loose in the average size of the pot. You gain the ability to isolate the weak player, but as we all know the tide turns fast in S8 on 4th street.

Say the same player is on your left, now you lose some of your stealing ability because he defends wider when in the bring in but you regain your ability to steal overall. You lose position on the opponent post flop which isn't necessarily horrible since its a push-pull game but there are times you will wish you had position.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM

Not enough information. It depends on how badly the live one plays, who else is in the game, how they will play with respect to the fish, and how they will react to your playing with the fish. I could make cases for all of the above, but I'm leaning toward wanting him behind me or directly in front of me if the others will stay out of my way. If they won't, then I probably will have to nurse big hands and jam the field, in which case I'd probably opt as far away as possible. However, your position relative to the live one isn't nearly as important as your position relative to the good players.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, your position relative to the live one isn't nearly as important as your position relative to the good players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sucker, you're on a rampage.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:15 PM

It seems to me that fishy players are (1) more difficult to manipulate than stronger players, and (2) they are harder to read than stronger players (because their hand ranges are wider); and so there is more to be gained by simply knowing what the fishy player has done. I would rather have the fishy player to my right than to my left.