Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Blogs: What do you read?

its a forum but i keep my blog there, you should be able to read it without having a user name there.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:27 PM

Evan,

http://collegecallgirl.blogspot.com
Old 02-23-2007, 06:47 AM

burk, you're going to need to be a little more specific probably. A bunch of the ones that have been posted are related to investing. Check Diablo's and my previous posts in this thread. There's thousands of investing blogs out there so you can find one for pretty much whatever you're interested in. Most of the ones in this thread are tech or venture capital focused.

Diablo, I just skimmed college call girl and it looks UH-MAZING.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its a forum but i keep my blog there, you should be able to read it without having a user name there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty confused. I went to the link again and it's still a forum. I did ctrl+F and typed in "blog"--nothing. Now, there may well be a blog hosted on that server, but that link sure as hell didn't go to it.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:50 AM

www.johnchow.com
Old 04-03-2007, 11:08 PM

I debated posting this in the software thread in diablo's forum, but I think it makes more sense here given all the Google Reader discussion.

Pretty much the only problem I've ever had with google reader is the inability to search your feeds in a simple, fast way. Tonight I decided to look around to see if anyone else had had the problem and come up with a solution. A quick Google search led me to an awesome greasemonkey script for this exact purpose. For anyone that doesn't know, greasemonkey is an add-on (I wish they still called them extensions) for Firefox that allows you to customize webpages with javascript.

To make your google reader feeds searchable:

1) Install greasemonkey
2) Install the google reader search script
3) Go to this page that shows your list of subscriptions (in OPML format) and save it
4) Create a search engine at Google Co-op. Enter a name, a description, a bogus keyword (like "blogs"), a bogus site in the list of sites to search (like "www.example.com"). Click "Next" and then "Finish"
5) Now click on "control panel" next to the search engine you've just created. Select "Advanced" and upload the file downloaded from Google Reader in the annotations section
6) Go to your search engine's home page and do a search for "test" (without quotes) and copy the url in the address bar (after the search)
7) Right click the grasemonkey icon at hte bottom of the browser, select Manage User Scripts, find the google reader script and click edit (you might have to navigate to c:\windows\notepad.exe)
8) In the document that opens search for "replace this" (no quotes) and paste the url you have copied
9) Remove this from the URL: &q=test
10) File - Save

That's it, you're good to go. Now reload your google reader page and there will be a search box on top. When you do searches they'll come up in the same frame where you read your feeds. Seriously, this just made google reader like 5x better for me and it was already an awesome service.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I debated posting this in the software thread in diablo's forum, but I think it makes more sense here given all the Google Reader discussion.

Pretty much the only problem I've ever had with google reader is the inability to search your feeds in a simple, fast way. Tonight I decided to look around to see if anyone else had had the problem and come up with a solution. A quick Google search led me to an awesome greasemonkey script for this exact purpose. For anyone that doesn't know, greasemonkey is an add-on (I wish they still called them extensions) for Firefox that allows you to customize webpages with javascript.

To make your google reader feeds searchable:

1) Install greasemonkey
2) Install the google reader search script
3) Go to this page that shows your list of subscriptions (in OPML format) and save it
4) Create a search engine at Google Co-op. Enter a name, a description, a bogus keyword (like "blogs"), a bogus site in the list of sites to search (like "www.example.com"). Click "Next" and then "Finish"
5) Now click on "control panel" next to the search engine you've just created. Select "Advanced" and upload the file downloaded from Google Reader in the annotations section
6) Go to your search engine's home page and do a search for "test" (without quotes) and copy the url in the address bar (after the search)
7) Right click the grasemonkey icon at hte bottom of the browser, select Manage User Scripts, find the google reader script and click edit (you might have to navigate to c:\windows\notepad.exe)
8) In the document that opens search for "replace this" (no quotes) and paste the url you have copied
9) Remove this from the URL: &q=test
10) File - Save

That's it, you're good to go. Now reload your google reader page and there will be a search box on top. When you do searches they'll come up in the same frame where you read your feeds. Seriously, this just made google reader like 5x better for me and it was already an awesome service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome find. I always wondered why this wasn't there by default.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:11 PM

I just signed up for GoogleReader and I was curious how one blog will be updated and one won't does anyone know how that works exactly? For instance I have a blog by Gilbert Arenas that has all the updates but then I have one for Ben Gordon but it only has one thing on the GoogleReader but I click on it and he has multiple updates since the start of the year but the GoogleReaders last update says January 11th?

Thanks for all of the great blog posts as well I've added many today.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:13 PM

My radio show, on teh internet (don't worry, it's all words, no audio)

"The Show" Radio (Internet Edition)
Old 04-04-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just signed up for GoogleReader and I was curious how one blog will be updated and one won't does anyone know how that works exactly? For instance I have a blog by Gilbert Arenas that has all the updates but then I have one for Ben Gordon but it only has one thing on the GoogleReader but I click on it and he has multiple updates since the start of the year but the GoogleReaders last update says January 11th?

Thanks for all of the great blog posts as well I've added many today.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that you've subscribed to a stale (no longer updated) feed for that blog. Google Reader (or any RSS reader) only knows about the posts that make it into the published feed. Sometimes bloggers muck with the feed settings and break things. Often there's a feed for posts only and another for comments; also, many use both Atom and different versions of RSS. If they don't know what they're doing, they could stop publishing one form of the feed. View the text of the feed link from the website and see if any reference to the current post is there. Also make sure that the link you're checking is the same one you subscribed to.