Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Georgia Skins

On High Stakes Poker, Doyle Brunson said "Georgia Skins" is the greatest gambling game ever. Anyone know what this is? I did a google search and it is some form of card game, but I couldn't find a good description of how it's played, or why Doyle would call it the greatest game.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Georgia Skins

[ QUOTE ]
On High Stakes Poker, Doyle Brunson said "Georgia Skins" is the greatest gambling game ever. Anyone know what this is? I did a google search and it is some form of card game, but I couldn't find a good description of how it's played, or why Doyle would call it the greatest game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've asked this same thing in "Television Poker", "Home Poker", "B&M", and "Other Gambling".... no response yet. I searched as well and only found out that Corey Fuller, and NFL player was arrested at a gambling house for playing this game for high stakes.

Let me know if you find anything.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Police now say they are not sure if the incident was related to the card games. One thing is certain, however; the shooting incident inspired police to send undercover operatives into Fuller's house to participate in the games. Arrest affidavits say two different agents participated in Fuller's "Georgia Skins" games over the late winter and early spring months.

After the April raid, Fuller was charged with a misdemeanor gambling charge—operating a gambling house. The weapons charge is far more serious and could land Fuller in jail if convicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right... undercover cops sitting in a high-stakes game for months. So that they could investigate a misdemeanor charge of operating a gambling house and a weapons violation. Does this make any sense?

I found a couple references with an Amazon search, to "Georgia Skin" (no trailing s):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/03807286...%252FaRyyY%253D

"... usually games of Georgia skin, a card game in which each player was deal one card, facedown, and the players bet whose number would be matched first as more cards were peeled from the deck."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/15602538...69Ye5EVOqc%253D

(A James Brown autobiography, talking about his father

"... He played a lot of Georgia Skin. That's where you shuffle the cards and deal one to each player. Say, I have a seven and you have a five. You flip over cards from the top of the deck, and if a seven comes up before a five, I caught you and win your money."

May also be called Florida Flip.

May also be of interest:

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...+@lit(3137b1))

Sounds like a pure gamble to me, probably not appropriate for Other Poker. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2007, 06:22 PM

This game might be slightly less stupid if the deck is not reshuffled until exhausted.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:11 PM

Good catches. So it sounds like it's either pure luck or simple math (if you don't reshuffle)? There's gotta be more to it for Doyle to call it the greatest gambling game.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's gotta be more to it for Doyle to call it the greatest gambling game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. Some might consider “pure” gambling to be betting large (relatively speaking) sums of money on neutral EV situations with large variance. Georgia Skins (whatever the real rules are) might qualify as one of these games.

Doyle may think it’s great not because it is complicated or provides a big edge to the skilled player, but because it is a “pure” gamble. He may also have fond memories of playing it long ago.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's gotta be more to it for Doyle to call it the greatest gambling game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. Some might consider “pure” gambling to be betting large (relatively speaking) sums of money on neutral EV situations with large variance. Georgia Skins (whatever the real rules are) might qualify as one of these games.

Doyle may think it’s great not because it is complicated or provides a big edge to the skilled player, but because it is a “pure” gamble. He may also have fond memories of playing it long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true... gamblers love action... a bunch of guys I used to play poker with, would lay out the deck face down and pick high cards for $50 a hand. It was actually fun to watch based on the fact that there was lots of smack talking back and forth over a game that is pure luck. I think they had much more fun playing that game than they did during the actual poker game.