Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Tourney donk revolt - term for cash game player equivalent?

It seems that the latest catchphrase on these boards is "tourney donk" - it usually applies to a tourney player who's made some big tourney $scores$, then steps into the higher limit cash games and, to understate things, lacks the understanding of the finer points/thresholds of cash game play and proceeds to give back all/most of his tournament winnings in said higher limit cash games. For this type of player, it's a term that (IMO) is mostly well-deserved...

...But it seems this term has gained momentum and is being thrown around pretty loosely, with a strong undertone of condescension to tournament players, and seemingly without any concept or appreciation for the fact that there is a flip side - one that manifests itself on a regular basis in the tournaments I play.

You know what I'm talking about - the cash game player with litte/no grasp on the difference between cEV and $EV, who takes on bad confrontations at inopportune times, who whiffs on the subtleties of bubble strategy and then bemoans his fate when his faulty strategy gets him knocked out/blinds him down unneccessarily, who lacks an understanding of the dynamics of big blind poker and complains it's a no-skill crapshoot while making fundamental mistake after mistake, etc., etc.

Just trying to balance things out a bit. I'm an old man, so I'm not up with a "hip term" for the above that the kids are using these days if it's already out there...just want some ammunition in the bag to throw out in case of the need to verbally defend my tournament-player status...
Old 03-25-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Tourney donk revolt - term for cash game player equivalent?

One of the wisest around said something like "berating the fish is the surest sign you're not very good at catching them."

So..."bro" as in "gg, bro, I got lucky."
Old 03-25-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just want some ammunition in the bag to throw out in case of the need to verbally defend my tournament-player status...

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard line is to challenge them to a 10k freezeout.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:09 PM

Dear Gramps,

Sorry someone called you a "tourney donk." Just remember that sticks and stones may break your bones but words can never hurt you. Next time may I recommend that you remind the offending party that you are, in fact, rubber and that they are glue, as a result everything that they say bounces off of you and sticks to them.

-Sixes
Licensed School Yard Attorney
Old 03-25-2006, 04:12 PM

cEV groupies
Old 03-25-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Gramps,

Sorry someone called you a "tourney donk." Just remember that sticks and stones may break your bones but words can never hurt you. Next time may I recommend that you remind the offending party that you are, in fact, rubber and that they are glue, as a result everything that they say bounces off of you and sticks to them.

-Sixes

[/ QUOTE ]

What if I played them in a HU freezout and lost my lunch money? I need some verbal ammo to try and (probably to no avail) take a shred of dignity from the situation...
Old 03-25-2006, 04:13 PM

ICM Ignorant

[ QUOTE ]
cEV groupies

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're working with me, that's what I'm looking for. C'mon creative people...

Oh, I don't know, "ring donk"?

Also you could add silly bluff/semi-bluff FPS's to your list of distinguising characteristics.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Gramps,

-Sixes

[/ QUOTE ]

What if I played them in a HU freezout and lost my lunch money? I need some verbal ammo to try and (probably to no avail) take a shred of dignity from the situation...

[/ QUOTE ]

You lost to Yugo HU in front of a room full of your peers. I think the dignity ship has sailed.