Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 08:46 PM

Default One more shell?

Reads: Not much history with Villain as I'm relatively new to the table, but he doesn't strike me as an especially good player. There haven't been many showdowns at the table and I'm starting to pick up the aggression/pace, but haven't been caught doing anything out of line.

Effective stacks: ~$350.
400NL.

Preflop: UTG folds, Villain pops to $14. Folds to me in the SB, and I call with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB folds.

Flop (2 players, $32): Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, Villain pots, I call.

Turn: (2 players, $96): Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet $68, villain calls.

River: (2 players, $232): Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I ... ?

1. Do you follow through with a river bet?

2. What do you think of the flop float? The board is draw heavy, and could be unpleasant for villain. So, I thought it would present a good bluffing opportunity. I decided to float since check/raising somehow seemed less believable, and there were lots of potential turn bluff cards (e.g., any spade, any 8, 9, 10, King, Queen, or Ace). Also, I like to float with pocket pairs sometimes since there's always an off chance I'll turn a set, which would be very disguised (in this case, I'm obviously not necessarily looking to play a big pot since I'd have an under-full).
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: One more shell?

c/call river
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: One more shell?

Well, the 8 was scarier than the 7 is...

I don't think he'll fold much that beats you.